Mulligatawny Soup is a delicious Indian soup that my sister made for me. We made it again tonight with a few minor adjustments and it turned out so good!!! Curry, apples, golden raisins… this is definitely my new favorite soup. It’s sweet and savory and addicting!
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 3 tsp. flour
- 3 tsp. curry powder
- 8 cups (2 large cartons) chicken broth
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed very small and cooked
- 3/4 c. white rice
- 3/4 c. golden raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- two pinches dried thyme
- 1 c. heavy cream (or half and half if you want it a little lighter)
- Saute the onion and shredded carrots in the butter in a large pot. Add flour and curry and cook five more minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. While simmering, cook the chicken pieces in a fry pan. Add chicken, apple, rice, raisins, thyme, salt, and pepper to the soup.
- Simmer for 20 more minutes until the rice is done. When there is about 2 minutes left, stir in the cream.
Copyright Favorite Family Recipes 2012