My mom always makes the best corn on the cob. It always turns out crunchy and sweet. Her secret? Sugar. Not all corn on the cob is nice and sweet when you buy it.. this is a great way to cheat (your guests will never know..)
- water (as much as you need to cover your corn)
- 1/3 - 1/2 c. sugar (or just a good handful)
- corn on the cob (peeled and ready to go)
- salt & pepper - to taste
- Fill a large stockpot about halfway with cold water, add sugar and bring to a boil (don't add salt to the water.. salt will toughen the corn, add the salt AFTER it is already cooked).
- When water is boiling, add corn. Cover and boil for about 5 minutes (don't over-boil -- start timing from the time you drop the corn in.. you don't need to bring it back to a full boil before you start timing it). Remove from heat and let sit covered for another few minutes.
- Remove from water with tongs and serve with butter, salt and pepper.