I love this Italian Sausage Lasagna, it may not look the prettiest but it tastes amazing! I love the taste of the sausage and fresh mozzarella together and the best part is that you don’t have to pre-cook the noodles. It cooks up in the juices of the tomato sauce. I like it with spinach but my kids aren’t crazy about it. It is especially good with our yummy breadtwists!
- 2 pounds ground sausage (I like to use italian sausage)
- 1 pkg lasagna noodles (uncooked)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pkg of spinach (optional)
- 1 to 2 lbs grated mozzarella (to taste, I like a lot of cheese!)
- 1 large container of cottage cheese
- In a large fry pan, cook the sausage until browned. While the sausage is cooking put the olive oil and garlic in a saucepan and cook til garlic starts to brown. Then add tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, basil, oregano, and salt to the pot. When smooth and heated through add sausage (first drain the grease) to the tomato mixture.
- In a 9x13 pan layer the following order. First a layer of noodles (uncooked), then half of the tomato mixture, half of the cottage cheese, and half of the mozzarella cheese (and spinach). Repeat the noodles, tomato mixture, cottage cheese, spinach, and mozzarella cheese.
- The MOST important part is baking it uncovered. I know from experience that i will be super runny if you cover it.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour then remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before cutting into it. This will help it thicken a tiny bit.