I know I posted a calzone recipe before… but here is a different one (I got the idea from BlogChef). I guess they are pretty similar, they are just prepared a little differently. I like both recipes.. they are both good. Both favorites 🙂
(Here is the link to my other calzone recipe if you want to compare: “Quick Calzones”.)
We usually use frozen bread dough, thawed (because we are lazy).
If you want to make your own dough you can use the following recipe:
- To make the dough- dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water. In a large bowl mix sugar, oil, salt, and flour. Add water/yeast mixture and mix together until smooth. Knead well and cover and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage. While sausage is cooking, add mushrooms, green pepper, and onion and saute. When sausage is cooked and veggies are soft add pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, garlic salt, and pepperoni.
- Split the dough in half and roll out each half on a flour surface into a 10” circle. Place 1-2 cups of meat sauce in the center of each circle of dough. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Fold over and crimp shut. Place calzones on a greased cookie sheet.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. After 15 minutes into the baking remove from the oven and brush lightly with melted butter. Return calzones to the oven and allow them to finish cooking.