Start with a basic chocolate cake mix and transform it into this decadent Easy Chocolate Cake with Cherry Topping dessert. Only 5 ingredients and a few simple steps is all it takes!
Easy Chocolate Cake with Cherry Topping
This Easy Chocolate Cake recipe is as simple to make as it is tasty. It whips up in no time, yet is a decadent and delicious dessert. Our mom would make this as a quick Sunday dessert for us. I had no idea how easy it was until I made it on my own! I almost always have the ingredients on-hand. It is a great “emergency” dessert when you are asked last-minute (or forget until the last minute). It’s the perfect recipe for potlucks.
I found all of the ingredients to make this cake at the Albertsons on Broadway in Boise. I love going there around holidays because they have the cutest seasonal stuff in their floral section and in their bakery! I couldn’t help but put a couple of their hanging heart succulents in my basket as well. Look how cute they are!
Does it have to be cherries? Does it have to be a chocolate flavored cake?
Cherries are so, so good, but any fruit filling will give this easy chocolate cake color and flavor. Raspberry and strawberry pie filling work great, even blackberry is delicious. For even more variation, try lemon cake with blueberry pie filling, a spice cake with apple pie filling, or a vanilla cake with peach pie filling. With this basic recipe, the possibilities are endless!
Tips for using a box cake mix
The convenience of using a box cake mix over a cake from scratch saves time and money. With a few quick tips, a box cake mix can taste like the homemade chocolate cakes your Grandma used to make. These tricks work like a charm every time!
- Use melted butter instead of oil for the butter. It adds a rich flavor to the cake.
- Use milk instead of water. This also enhances the richness of the cake.
- For a lighter, fluffier cake, sift the cake mix before adding the other ingredients.
- For an extra rich and dense cake, don’t use the ingredients recommended on the side of the box. Mix the cake mix with 4 egg whites, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1/3 cup oil, 3/4 cup buttermilk, and 3/4 cup sour cream.
- Don’t overbake the cake. This will dry it out. Use the toothpick test to check for doneness.
More Decadent Chocolate Cakes
While we’re on the subject of chocolate, try some of our other divinely rich chocolatey desserts. Romantic dinners topped with a sinfully sweet slice of cake? Your sweetheart will thank you!
- Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
- Slow Cooker Molten Chocolate and Caramel Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake Copycat
How to Make Easy Chocolate Cake with Cherry Topping
- Bake cake mix according to directions, then cool.
- Mix cream cheese, powdered suger, and cool whip until smooth, then spread over cake. Just before serving, top individual slices with cherry topping.