This Dutch Oven Chicken and sausage is so easy and yummy. I love Dutch oven cooking and have grown up eating it a lot in the summertime.
Dutch Oven Chicken and Sausage
Dutch Oven Chicken and Sausage is my favorite Dutch oven chicken recipe by far and it is so easy! My brother, Devin, is the Dutch oven MASTER. I’m not kidding, he makes the best Dutch oven food EVER. He was kind enough to share his recipes with us and is allowing us to put them up on the family blog. Thanks Devin!
If you’re new to the idea of Dutch oven cooking, here’s the basics to get you going. For starters you will need:
1 big bag of charcoal briquettes
seasoned cast-iron Dutch oven(s) (12″)
Dutch oven lid-lifter (and some THICK hot pads) to lift the lid off
Spray the charcoals with some lighter fluid, throw in a match and wait until all of the charcoals turn light gray. When ready, spread the coals out flat and place the Dutch oven over the top. It will heat up pretty fast. Now follow the recipe below! You will NOT be disappointed. This Chicken and Sausage recipe has never failed me.
Here is a GREAT website on how to cook with Dutch ovens if you are new to Dutch oven cooking. Click HERE. (This guy explains the technique much better than I can.. Thanks Dutch Oven Dude)!
Great Sides for Dutch Oven Dining
Once you have this delicious chicken and sausage dish going, you may want to add a few side dishes to the mix. Like these heavenly Dutch Oven Potatoes and our amazing Dutch Oven Apple Pie. For breakfast, (or, let’s be honest, anytime) you can also give this Dutch Oven Cinnamon Roll a whirl. Did you have any idea you can make so many dishes in a Dutch oven? Let us know some of your favorites in the comments below.
How To Make Dutch Oven Chicken & Sausage:
- 2 pounds chicken
- 1 pound pork roast cut into serving sizes (optional)
- 2 12 ounce smoked sausages sliced about 1" thick (the kind in the horseshoe shaped package)
- 40 ounces BBQ sauce We like Bull's Eye Original and Texas Longhorn
- Heat Dutch oven with heated coals. Use about 15 coals on the bottom and 10-15 coals on the lid.
- Add the chicken and pork (optional) to the hot Dutch oven.
- Place the lid on top and check occasionally.
- Cook until chicken is white and cooked through (DO NOT OVERCOOK).
- Drain ALL the water from the oven. Add the sausage and BBQ sauce (add enough to completely drench the meat).
- Cook another 10-15 minutes, covered.
- Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!
- Dutch Oven