These Grandma’s Soft Sugar Cookies taste like the ones from the store, but better. You will love how soft and chewy they are and the frosting is amazing!
Have you ever been tempted by the big frosted sugar cookies that are sold at the gas station? They look so good, don’t they. But, sometimes they aren’t fresh and after spending all that money, it can be a big disappointment. Don’t do it! You can make your own at home for less money and better quality and taste.
These sugar cookies are melt-in-your-mouth soft. When you add the cream cheese frosting on top they are absolutely scrumptious! This sugar cookie recipe is perfect for cookie cutters. This is a go-to recipe for any holiday or birthday celebration throughout the year when you want to cut out cookies in fun shapes.
How to make Grandma’s Soft Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat shortening (or butter) and sugar together.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowing add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix together until you can form a large dough ball.
- On floured surface, roll out dough ball until about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters (or rim of a drinking glass) to cut cookie shapes out of dough.
- Place cookies on lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes. DON'T OVERCOOK OR THEY WILL BE HARD!
- For frosting...beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Add powdered sugar to desired consistency. Spread over cooled cookies.