This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
These dipped caramel pretzel bites are addicting! You won’t be able to eat just one! They are the perfect, easy treat to take to friends and neighbors.
Featured with this recipe
Beware, these caramel pretzel bites are so delicious they may be addicting! With a sweet caramel inside and a crunchy pretzel outside, then wrap it in chocolate, these treats are the very best. These caramel treats are known to be the hit of Christmas. It is always our favorite neighbor and friend gift during the holidays!
Caramel pretzel bites taste gourmet, yet they are so simple! You cannot stop with just one of these delicious bites. We had some leftovers after taking them to neighbors and they were devoured within minutes. This has become my new favorite sweet and salty holiday snack, and trust me, it will be yours too!
Ingredients for Caramel Pretzel Bites
This is a simple recipe that takes minutes to make. Caramel pretzel bites are the perfect treat to share and to enjoy. They are bite-sized pieces and amazingly delicious! Simply make, melt, and dip to have such a fun and special holiday treat to share with friends and family!
- Caramels – Homemade or store-bought work great for the caramel layer. For a fun twist, try using Rolo candies instead!
- Chocolate – Melt chocolate chips or candy melts in the microwave or stovetop on medium heat. Stir the melted chocolate each time the pretzels are dipped.
- Pretzels – You will want to find square pretzels with lines across them. These will hold in the caramel like a sandwich.
- White chocolate melts – This is a simple drizzle that goes on top of each pretzel dipped in chocolate. It is more used as a decoration but also gives it a sweet flavor over top of the chocolate.
How to Make Dipped Caramel
Take your caramel to the next level and add a salty and crunchy bite to each one. Sandwich the caramel in pretzels and dip it in chocolate for a fantastic treat! These are great to share and have on hand for a quick snack.
- Homemade caramel – Prepare homemade caramel. Allow the caramel to cool and cut into small squares about the same size as the pretzels.
- Melt – In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate (not including the white chocolate) at 50% microwave power in 30-second increments, until melted, stirring each time. Place a caramel between 2 pretzels and gently press them together.
- Dipping – Dip half of the pretzel “sandwich” into the melted chocolate, shake off excess, and place on wax paper. Repeat until you run out of caramel and/or pretzels.
- Refrigerate – When all the pretzel bites are done and completely set (you may need to put them in the refrigerator), melt white chocolate and drizzle over the top of the bites. Allow white chocolate to set, then serve!
Tips for Making Caramel Dipped Pretzels
Follow these special instructions to help make the dipped caramel pretzels easier! Learn the best way to prepare the pan, add nuts, make sure to use a candy thermometer, and slice with a sharp knife. These are the perfect tips for making this treat even better!
- Prepare – Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, aluminum foil, or a silicon mat to place the dipped caramel pretzel bites. Grease foil to help lift candy off the foil.
- Nuts – Add nuts to the caramel or the outside of the chocolate.
- Candy thermometer – When making homemade caramels, use a candy thermometer for the best results.
- Slice – Using a sharp knife, cut candy caramel into small squares that will fit onto the square pretzels. The caramel will spread a bit once cut.
Directions for Store Bought Caramels
These Caramel Pretzel Bites are delicious with our homemade caramels. You can also make them with store-bought caramels too, but you will need to soften them up a bit. To use a store-bought caramel (like Brach’s or Kraft), follow these directions:
- Unwrap – Unwrap each caramel and cut it in half. Line a baking sheet with pretzel squares. Place a caramel half on each square.
- Bake – Bake for 5-6 minutes, just long enough for the caramel to become soft.
- Stack together – Place another pretzel square on top of the caramel and press down gently until the caramel comes just to the edge.
- Dipping – Allow each “sandwich” to cool before dipping them into chocolate.
“These were amazing! As usual, you hit the mark perfectly! The actual caramels were nothing short of heaven, probably the best I have tasted. Everyone that tasted these little squares LOVED them! They are my new Christmas addiction.”-Janelle
Frequently Asked Questions
These covered pretzels can be made up to one week ahead of time. Too long after that, they lose their freshness. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry area.
If you are wanting to freeze the chocolate-covered pretzels, you can keep them in an airtight container and seal them. They will keep in the freezer for 6 months. When ready to share, let them sit overnight in the fridge or at room temperature.
If you are making homemade caramels you will want to make sure that your caramel does not have a white layer If you’d look closely at this white layer, you will see tiny crystals. You will want to use a large heavy saucepan, stirring continuously. This will prevent the caramel from crystallizing.
More Homemade Candy Recipes
Candy recipes are delicious and so fun to make, especially during the holidays. Try some of our favorite candy recipes that are easy to make and celebrate special occasions. Which one will you try first?!
Dipped Caramel Pretzel Bites
- 1 batch caramels homemade or 200 store bought caramels see notes above
- 24 ounces chocolate you can use milk chocolate candy bars or chocolate melts
- 2 12 ounce bags pretzels (we used Snyder’s butter pretzels, the square ones)
- 8 ounces white chocolate melts
- Prepare homemade caramel (it should be enough to fill an entire jelly-roll pan, the recipe provided above is the perfect amount). Allow caramel to cool and cut into small squares about the same size as the pretzels.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate (not including the white chocolate) at 50% microwave power in 30 second increments, until melted, stirring each time.
- Place a caramel between 2 pretzels and gently press together.
- Dip half of the pretzel “sandwich” into the melted chocolate, shake off excess, and place on to wax paper. Repeat until you run out of caramel and/or pretzels.
- When all the pretzel bites are done and completely set (you may need to put them in the refrigerator), melt white chocolate (same as above) and drizzle over the top of the bites.
- Allow white chocolate to set, then serve!
Make Caramel Pretzel Bites Ahead of TimeThese covered pretzels can be made up to one week ahead of time. Too long after that, they loose their freshness. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry area.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
Wow, these sound like the most delicious treat! They wouldn’t last long in my house!
I just love easy recipes like this for the holidays! So cute too. 🙂
These are so yummy! I had lots of fun making them with the kiddos last night.
With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I was relieved at how easy and fast this recipe came together! So easy, delicious, and festive! My kids barely left enough to give to the neighbors!
Wow these are the easiest treats to make with only 4 ingredients! So excited to make this over the weekend! I know they will be a hit!
These stick terribly to a bare cookie sheet!!
Used parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Saved the mess of the sticky caramel.
A silicone bake sheet works wonders as well. No sticking.
I never could find the caramel recipe.
Here is the link to the caramel recipe: https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/moms-christmas-caramels_13/
Would store bought caramels work just the same? Melt in oven maybe?
You wouldn’t need to melt much. Just make sure that they are REALLY soft. Hope this helps!
Be sure you butter your pan that you make your caramel in, it doesn’t say to do this, but a small area of my pan didn’t get buttered and it stuck 🙂 I think these will be really good, waiting to dip them tomorrow.
How long do they keep?
They stay good about a week or so refrigerated
These were so yummy!!! I would never have said I was a pretzel and caramel person but I sure am now!
These were amazing! As usual, you hit the mark perfectly! The actual caramels were nothing short of heaven, probably the best I have tasted. Everyone that tasted these little squares LOVED them! They are my new Christmas addiction.
These look like the perfect holiday treat! I love the combo of salty, sweet, caramel, and chocolate. YUM! Pinned. 🙂