This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
These Dipped Caramel Pretzel Bites are addicting! You won’t be able to eat just one! They are the perfect, easy treat to take to friends and neighbors.
Featured with this recipe
Beware, these caramel pretzel bites are so delicious they may be addicting! With a sweet caramel inside and a crunchy pretzel outside, then wrap it in chocolate, these treats are the very best. These caramel treats are known to be the hit of Christmas. It is always our favorite neighbor and friend gift during the holidays!
Caramel pretzel bites taste gourmet, yet they are so simple! You cannot stop with just one of these delicious bites. We had some left over after taking them to neighbors and they were devoured within minutes. This has become my new favorite sweet and salty holiday snack, and trust me, it will be yours too!
Ingredients for Caramel Pretzel Bites
This is a simple recipe that takes minutes to make. Caramel pretzel bites are the perfect treat to share and to enjoy. They are bite-sized pieces and amazingly delicious! Simply make, melt, and dip to have such a fun and special holiday treat to share with friends and family!
- Caramels – Homemade or store bought work great for the caramel layer. For a fun twist, try using Rolo candies instead!
- Chocolate – Melt chocolate chips or candy melts in the microwave or stove top on medium heat. Stir the melted chocolate each time the pretzels are being dipped.
- Pretzels – You will want to find the square pretzels with lines across them. These will hold in the caramel like a sandwich.
- White chocolate melts – This is a simple drizzle that goes on top of each pretzel dipped in chocolate. It is more used as a decoration, but also gives it a sweet flavor over top the chocolate.
Tips for Making Caramel Dipped Pretzels
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, aluminum foil, or a silicon mat to place the dipped caramel pretzel bites. Grease foil to help lift candy off the foil.
- Add in nuts to the caramel or the outside of the chocolate.
- When making homemade caramels, use a candy thermometer for the best results. Using a sharp knife, cut candy caramel into small squares that will fit onto the square pretzels. The caramel will spread a bit once cut.
Directions for Store Bought Caramels
These Caramel Pretzel Bites are delicious with our homemade caramels. You can also make them with store bought caramels too, but you will need to soften them up a bit. To use a store-bought caramel (like Brach’s or Kraft), follow these directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Unwrap each caramel and cut it in half.
- Line a baking sheet with pretzel squares.
- Place a caramel half on each square.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, just long enough for the caramel to become soft.
- Place another pretzel square on top of the caramel and press down gently until the caramel comes just to the edge.
- Allow each “sandwich” to cool before dipping them in to chocolate.
“These were amazing! As usual, you hit the mark perfectly! The actual caramels were nothing short of heaven, probably the best I have tasted. Everyone that tasted these little squares LOVED them! They are my new Christmas addiction.”-Janelle
Frequently Asked Questions
These covered pretzels can be made up to one week ahead of time. Too long after that, they loose their freshness. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry area.
If you are wanting to freeze the chocolate covered pretzels, you can keep them in an airtight container and seal them. They will keep in the freezer for 6 months. When ready to share, let them sit overnight in the fridge or at room temperature.
If you are making homemade caramels you will want to make sure that your caramel does not have a white layer If you’d look closely at this white layer, you will see tiny crystals. You will want to use a large heavy saucepan, stirring continuously. This will prevent the caramel from crystalizing.
More Homemade Candy Recipes
In the mood to make more delicious homemade candy? Give these ideas a try:
Dipped Caramel Pretzel Bites
- Prepare homemade caramel (it should be enough to fill an entire jelly-roll pan, the recipe provided above is the perfect amount). Allow caramel to cool and cut into small squares about the same size as the pretzels.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate (not including the white chocolate) at 50% microwave power in 30 second increments, until melted, stirring each time.
- Place a caramel between 2 pretzels and gently press together.
- Dip half of the pretzel “sandwich” into the melted chocolate, shake off excess, and place on to wax paper. Repeat until you run out of caramel and/or pretzels.
- When all the pretzel bites are done and completely set (you may need to put them in the refrigerator), melt white chocolate (same as above) and drizzle over the top of the bites.
- Allow white chocolate to set, then serve!