This cookie salad is one of my favorite summertime desserts. True, it’s not your typical potluck “salad” but trust me, your guests won’t mind one bit!
What is Cookie Salad?
Even though this isn’t your typical salad, by definition, it can still be considered a salad. A salad can be any mixture of small pieces of food combined that may or may not be combined with a dressing. Yes, I will admit, it is a stretch. It probably qualifies as more of a dessert, but bringing this as a “salad” to a potluck will make you a rockstar. I don’t think you will get any complaints.
Cookie Salad Dessert Mix Ins:
I love the combination of the mandarin oranges and pineapple mixed with the vanilla pudding in this recipe. It really doesn’t need more. I have heard of people adding banana or even mini-marshmallows to the mixture. Neither of these are a bad idea. If you are looking to add more, feel free to give either of those mix-in’s a try! Also, if you aren’t keen on the idea of having a little bit of chocolate in your cookie salad you can use shortbread cookies or crushed Vienna fingers instead. Let us know if you try any other mix-ins. Leave a comment to share how it worked for you.
With buttermilk or without buttermilk?
This seems to be the great debate with Cookie salad. Some love buttermilk others just like plain milk. I actually like it with milk because the buttermilk makes it a little too rich for my liking. Plus I feel like I am saving a few extra calories by sticking with skim milk. Granted, I know it’s not MUCH healthier, but a little healthier nonetheless.
Even More Salads
Make even more amazing salads for your next barbecue or family get together by trying some of these recipes (traditional and non-traditional) below.
- Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is the real deal. No frills, just the perfect side dish to any BBQ or luau.
- The BEST Potato Salad Recipe Ever comes straight from Mom’s recipe box. Tender chunks of potato and hard boiled eggs covered in creamy dressing, this will be a true hit at any gathering.
- Snickers Apple Salad is another way to add a little dessert to your salad bar. The tart apples are the perfect complement to the sweet Snickers.
- Nuts About Berries Salad is a colorful, flavorful and refreshing salad for the spring and summer months when you can pick or purchase delicious fresh berries.
- Creamy Green Pea Salad with Bacon is always a favorite because of how versatile it is. Try a variety of combinations!
How to Make Cookie Salad
- In a large bowl, combine vanilla pudding mix and milk.
- Beat with an electric hand mixer until thick (about 1 minute).
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Stir in mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Immediately before serving, crush fudge stripe cookies and stir into the pudding mixture.