This Grape Salad with crunchy coconut topping is an all time favorite! Red and Green grapes in a cool sweet creamy sauce topped with sugary, crunchy grape nuts and coconut.
This Grape Salad with crunchy coconut topping is probably my favorite fruit salad! It is so sweet and yummy, it’s almost more of a dessert than a salad. We will frequently take this grape salad on family picnics and it is ALWAYS a huge hit! Even the kids are crazy for it! It is so quick and easy to whip up, too.
Just remember, if you are taking it to a picnic or want to prepare ahead of time, add the coconut topping RIGHT before serving so it stays nice and crunchy!
What Makes A Salad A Salad?
In the world of food, there are a few hot debates. One of them is over the definition and composition of a salad. For some, tossing together grapes with a creamy sauce and some coconut falls short of the traditional image of a tossed green salad. Hence the distinctive phrase “fruit salad.” According to Merriam Webster, a salad is “any of the various “usually cold dishes” including raw greens, vegetables and toppings. It is served with dressing or small pieces of food, or usually mixed with a dressing or set in gelatin.” A fruit salad on the other hand generally contains small pieces of fruit served in their own juice or a syrup of some kind.
No matter what you call it, this Grape Salad hits the spot — and is totally on the mark to be considered a delicious side dish to your barbecue or picnic.
Speaking of Salads…
There are a whole lot of things you can add to the main dish of any meal to round out the experience. Check out some of these great salad options of all styles:
- Nuts About Berries Salad is a colorful, fresh, summery delight.
- Snickers Apple Salad That’s right. Snickers candy in a salad! Talk about a hot debate. But the pairing of the sweet snickers with tart apples is enough to satisfy anyone’s taste buds.
- Creamy Green Pea Salad with Bacon is a great side dish at any backyard barbecue. Plus, you can keep it simple, or add even more ingredients!
- Asian Cucumber Salad is full of flavor and low on calories. Check out this yummy homemade dressing!
How to make Grape Salad
- 1 bag grapes red, green or both (enough to fill a 9x13 pan)
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla, then fold in sour cream. Stir grapes in with the creamy mixture then spread out in a 9x13 glass pan and refrigerate.
RIGHT BEFORE SERVING:
- Combine topping ingredients well and add over top of the grapes.
- 9x13 inch pan
- Hand Mixer