Snickers Salad, also known as Snicker Apple Salad, is a salad the kids will actually be happy to eat! Tart, crispy apples and chewy, caramel-y Snickers bars are the perfect combination!
Snickers Salad (aka Snicker Apple Salad)
This Snicker Apple Salad is a fun recipe! You can surprise your guests and let them guess what that chewy, caramel, nutty, deliciousness is in the salad, or garnish with extra snickers bars on top. I was at a potluck dinner many years ago and this salad was on the buffet line. I had no idea what was in it, because everything was coated with Cool Whip. When I sat down and took a bite, I knew I was eating apples, but I could not figure out what the delicious caramel and nutty taste was – I just knew it tasted perfect with the apples!
It was like taking a bite of a chocolate caramel covered apple with a dollop of cool whip on top. I went on a quest to find out who brought the salad so I could find out what was in it. I was surprised when she told me it was chunks of Snickers candy bars. It was not the taste I was expecting when I took a bite of a fruit salad!
This Snickers Salad quickly became a family favorite. It is requested by my children all the time as a side dish. It is so quick and easy to make, it is now what I often take to potluck dinners – and now I am the one that people search out to find out what is in that delicious salad!
Apples to Use in Snickers Salad
The nice thing about this salad is that you can use any apples you have. For the best flavor profile, I like to use one apple that is more sweet and one apple that is more tart. I usually pick Granny Smith as my tart apple. Its fun to have one green apple and one red apple for added color!
- Granny Smith
- Red Delicious
- Pink Lady
Golden Delicious apples are right in the middle, but they are also great for this recipe, and salads in general. They have great texture and the flesh of the apple stays white after slicing for longer than most apples.
Substitutions for this Recipe
If Snickers aren’t your thing, or you are feeding someone with a peanut allergy, you can always change up the candy bar. My favorite substitute is Twix bars, but there are other options as well. Let us know in the comments if we left one out that you like!
Substitutions for Snickers Candy Bar
- Milky Way
- 100 Grand Bar
- Three Musketeers
- Baby Ruth
If you would like to substitute real whipped cream for the Cool Whip, go right ahead! We use Cool Whip for the convenience but have also used homemade whipped cream and it tastes great.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form.
Additions to this Recipe
If you are wanting to give the Snicker Apple Salad a little more depth, try adding a package of vanilla or butterscotch pudding! This is a DELICIOUS version of this salad. All you have to do is combine a 6 oz. instant pudding with 1 cup of milk. Whisk together until thickened and fold in the Cool Whip before folding into the rest of the salad. Give it a try and you can decide which way you like it best!
This Snicker Apple Salad can easily be transformed into a Snickers Caramel Apple Salad by drizzling a little caramel topping over the whipped cream. We have also heard of people adding bananas, pineapples, or fruit cocktail. At the end of the day, this recipe can be as simple or complicated as you want. Have fun with it and make it your own!
More Apple Recipes
If you have an abundance of apples this year or are just looking to try some new apple recipes, we have TONS to share with you!
- Dutch Apple Pie: This is our favorite fall pie. It is filled with tart apples and baked with a sweet and buttery crumb topping.
- Disneyland Apple Pie Caramel Apples: These Apple Pie Caramel Apples from Disneyland are my new favorite treat! Can’t make it to Disney? Bring the magic to your kitchen with this easy recipe!
- Traditional Apple Crisp: This is a no-frills, easy, traditional apple crisp recipe that can’t be beat. Just like the apple crisp the lunch lady used to make back in the good ol’ days (but better)!
- Copycat Bluebird Turkey and Brie Sandwich: Our Bluebird’s Turkey and Brie Sandwich Copycat is the best sandwich ever. It’s unique flavors are so good, like deli turkey, crisp apples, and brie cheese.
- Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts: Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts are my favorite lunch in the fall. It takes grilled cheese to a whole new level.
- If you want to see ALL of our apple recipes, click HERE.
How to Make Snickers Salad
- Cut apples into bite size pieces. Dice Snickers bar into bite size pieces.
- Mix cut up Snickers bars and apples in a medium-sized bowl.
- Fold in Cool Whip.