These Gluten Free Blackberry Pancakes with Coconut Yogurt Syrup are one of the first things that made me feel like I can still eat delicious food. A few weeks ago I found out from my doctor that I have been sick because I am allergic to wheat and now have to eat completely gluten free.
I am not going to lie, I was a little devastated, pretty much all my favorite foods have wheat. But after coming to grips with my new life and doing some research I have realized that although I can’t have wheat, there are still ways to create yummy recipes of the foods I love that are gluten free. Luckily there are so many options out there and a greater awareness of gluten free diets among stores and restaurants- making this new life of mine totally do-able. 🙂
The best part is that I am feeling A LOT better! I have a lot more energy and am all around much happier.
So a little about this recipe, I researched out a ton of different recipes for gluten free pancakes and actually failed my first attempt, but I finally put together a recipe that is incredible! They taste just like regular pancakes with the same fluffy texture. The most important thing is finding a good gluten free flour. I have quickly learned that they are not all the same! You need to find a good one that says it substitutes cup for cup with regular flour. I really like the Namaste Perfect Flour Blend Gluten Free Flour, I found a big bag of it at Costco. One thing I did realize is that you need to cook them a little lower, and a little longer than regular pancakes to make sure that they cook through in the center without burning on the surface. If you aren’t a blackberry fan, just leave them out, or substitute chocolate chips or another fruit, they will still taste amazing.
And the coconut yogurt syrup is TO DIE FOR! It is so incredibly yummy. It tastes just like the coconut syrups that they serve in Hawaii. I couldn’t stop stealing little tastes of it.
Gluten Free Blackberry Pancakes with Coconut Yogurt Syrup
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl, then stir in the milk and egg. Last stir in the blackberries.
- Line a skillet, over a low-medium heat, with some cooking spray. Then add 1/2 cup of the pancake mixture. Cook until golden brown and the first side, then flip and repeat.
- Add the sugar, yogurt, and butter to a small saucepan over low heat. When the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut extract.
- Top pancakes with fresh blackberries and coconut flakes and the coconut yogurt syrup.