Baked Zucchini Chips are great way to enjoy fried zucchini taste without the guilt. They are delicious dipped in marinara sauce or light ranch.
Baked Zucchini Chips
We love fried zucchini! Now we have a way that we can enjoy it without the guilt and it is every bit as good! No need to fire up the fryer, you can bread these lightly in our recipe for seasoned breadcrumbs and bake them in the oven and voila! All the crisp flavor you’re seeking, without the oil and fat.
How to Pick the Perfect Zucchini
Just a few tips, when you are purchasing or growing zucchini, smaller is actually better. The bigger they get the more flavor they lose. My husband actually worked at a zucchini farm when he was in high school and if they got too big, they couldn’t sell it. When preparing this veggie, there are a few ways you can go. I like to cut the zucchini at a bit of an angle so the spears are more like ovals instead of circles. This is great served with some marinara or light ranch for dipping.
Health Benefits of Zucchini
While zucchini has not reached the trendy level of super-food status like kale or acai berries, zucchini can hold its own in the health benefits department. For starters, like a lot of vegetables, zucchini contains no fat and is high in water and fiber. It is also an excellent source of potassium and manganese and vitamins C, K, B6 and riboflavin. It is also a great way to get your anti-oxidants. With such a nutrient-dense food, especially prepared in the right way, why wouldn’t you want to add more of it to your diet?
More Zucchini Recipes
If you want to try adding a little more zucchini to your life, there are several great ideas here.
How to Make Baked Zucchini Chips
Baked Zucchini Chips
- Line a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine eggs and milk in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Dip each zucchini piece into the egg mixture, then dip into bread crumbs until evenly coated in crumbs. Place zucchini on baking sheet, spray the top of each with cooking/butter spray and then bake in the oven at 425-degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- For an added crisp, turn the oven to broil and cook for about 30-45 seconds longer or until golden (watch them closely to prevent burning). Remove from oven and serve hot with ranch dressing or marinara/pizza sauce for dipping.
- *If you really want them fried, you can follow the same preparation instructions but instead of baking: fry in a shallow pan of vegetable oil, turning once to brown on each side.