Mom’s Homemade Rolls recipe is a classic recipe for delicious rolls. We serve them as a side with soup or salad, and they are a must at Thanksgiving dinner!
My mom made these homemade rolls as far back as I can remember on Sundays and special occasions. With Thanksgiving coming up I decided I better hurry and get them on here so you can all enjoy them as well! These are definitely a favorite of our family and always get devoured. You are lucky if there are some leftover for turkey sandwiches the next day! I also included how you can use this same dough recipe for pesto rolls which are also so yummy!!!
Mom’s Homemade Rolls
- 9x13 inch pan
In a small bowl combine:
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
In a large bowl combine:
- 2 cups scalded milk microwave for 3 min,
- 1 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
You will also need:
- 8 to 10 cups of flour
- Beat the ingredients in the large bowl with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add the yeast mixture in the small bowl. Stir in the 8 to 10 cups of flour 1 cup at a time. You will know you have enough flour when the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, it should still be sticky. Pour some more flour onto a flat clean surface and knead into a soft dough, adding flour as needed.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead again then place into a bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Cover and raise for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and let raise 10 more minutes.
- Roll out dough, and break off sections to form into small rolls. They should be about half the size you would like your finished roll to be.
- Place rolls in a pan or cookie sheet and raise again for about 15 to 20 minutes. They shouldn't be touching before raising, but should be after raising.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
For Pesto Rolls:
- Instead of breaking dough into rolls, roll the dough out into a large rectangular shape. Brush pesto sauce (I get mine from Costco) all over the dough. Roll the dough up lengthwise and seal along the edge. Cut into 2 inch slices and place on a greased cookie sheet. Let raise until double in size then bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes. Immediately after removing from oven, sprinkle with parmesan or mozzarella cheese.