Pasta Primavera with tender chicken is a healthy, vibrant dish perfect for using summer vegetables. No heavy cream or butter, but lots of fresh, zesty flavor.
Pasta Primavera with Chicken
Pasta Primavera with Chicken is a delicious, light skillet pasta I came up with recently when I had a ton of veggies from our summer garden and a hankering for a good pasta dish. I didn’t want anything too heavy on that hot summer evening, but something that was filling and fresh and yummy. It was so easy to put together! Fresh vegetables, tender chunks of chicken breast, spaghetti, zesty Italian seasoning and some light cream cheese melt together to create a creamy, healthy pasta dinner that everyone loves! Serve with a simple green salad and some crusty bread for the perfect weeknight dinner.
Low Calorie Primavera
This Pasta Primavera recipe is low in calories but high on flavor. That’s because instead of using heavy cream, butter or lots of oil, I use Skinny Cow Creamy Swiss cheese wedges to add creamy texture and flavor to the dish. Those little wedges come in handy for so many recipes! They melt smoothly when tossed in with the spaghetti, hot veggies and chicken. I do use a little vegetable oil to give the chicken a nice golden color, and to sautee the vegetables. You can use extra virgin olive oil or any oil for this step.
How to Make Vegetarian Primavera
Bright, crisp vegetables really are the star of this dinner. And you can make this recipe vegetarian in a snap! Just omit the chicken, and use a vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. It’s not just for spring or summer either; you can add fall or winter vegetables to create a whole new recipe as the seasons change. That’s what I love most about this recipe, the versatility. If you need some ideas of vegetables to use, try a few of these:
- green peppers
- red, yellow or orange peppers
- yellow squash
- pea pods
- green beans
The possibilities are endless! Mix and match any veggies you have on hand, and toss in with some seasonings and your choice of pasta and you’ll have a hearty and healthy dinner on the table in no time!
More Favorite Pasta Recipes
I really have to stop myself from making pasta every night of the week. There are so many recipes out there, but try a few of these tried and true favorites:
- Old Spaghetti Factory’s Mizithra Pasta
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- One Pot Jambalaya Pasta
- Basil Pasta
- Creamy Bowtie Asparagus Pasta
How to Make Pasta Primavera with Chicken
- vegetable oil to taste
- 1 Lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Montreal chicken seasoning to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium-sized zucchini sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 pkg zesty Italian dry seasoning packet
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 c. skim milk
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
- 3 oz. light cream cheese or 4 wedges of skinny cow creamy Swiss
- 1 Lb. pkg. spaghetti prepared
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a large skillet. Cut chicken into pieces and add to oil. Sprinkle chicken with Montreal chicken seasoning, to taste.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel (or two) and add a little more oil to the skillet. When oil is hot again, add garlic, onion, peppers, and zucchini.
- Saute vegetables until they become bright and tender.
- Return chicken to skillet along with diced tomatoes. Stir in Italian seasonings, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and simmer for a minute or two.
- Add milk, Parmesan cheese, and cream cheese-- stir until cream cheese is completely melted and mixed in.
- Drain spaghetti and add to skillet. Toss until well combined. Serve immediately.