Danish Brunede Kartofler – Caramelized Browned Potatoes – are a great side dish to any meal! They are a small potato with a sweet caramelized coating.
Brunede Kartofler or Caramelized Browned Potatoes is a delicious Danish side-dish that my husband introduced me to. We have this every year with our Danish Christmas dinner and I love it! This brunede kartofler also goes really well with pork chops or pork tenderloin. They end up tasting kind of like a sweet potato. They have a sweet caramelized coating on every potato.
We have a tradition of cooking a Danish dinner the night before Christmas Eve. It is a dinner that we look forward to every Holiday season because all the food is a special treat. These potatoes are always on the menu! Some of our other favorite Danish dishes we love to make are:
- Thick and Beefy Danish Goulash
- Ris a La Mande (Danish Rice Pudding)
- This Rødkål (Danish Red Cabbage)
- Frikadeller (Savory Danish Meatballs)
- Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- In a large skillet cook the sugar on medium-low heat until completely melted. DO NOT STIR!
- When melted and slightly darkened around the edges, add the butter and stir until it becomes kind of a syrupy mixture.
- Add the potatoes and a little bit of water (if the mixture starts to stiffen and form lumps turn the heat up and it will melt again).
- Moving the skillet around, gently cover each potato in the mixture, continuing to cook for about 6-8 minutes.