Chicken Coconut Curry is warm, hearty and layered with sweet and savory flavors. Tastes even better than restaurant curries and much cheaper and easier to make!
Chicken Coconut Curry
This Chicken Coconut Curry is something my kids are always begging me to make. They love the tender potatoes, chunks of juicy chicken with the sauce made sweet with coconut milk and savory with warm Thai spices and stewed tomatoes. We serve it over Jasmine rice or just eat it in a bowl all on its own. I love it because it’s easy to make, with easy to find ingredients and comes together quickly! Fancy enough to serve any company yet simple enough to make on a busy weeknight too. You’ll love this recipe!
Substitutions for this Chicken Coconut Curry Recipe
The beauty of this recipe is it can be switched up to suit your family’s tastes to perfection! Try a few of of these alternative ingredients and make it your own.
- Add any vegetables you wish. I like it with green peppers, broccoli, shredded carrots, green peas or even green beans.
- Any kind of potatoes will work too: Yukon gold, red potatoes, or russets, whatever you have on hand.
- If you like it spicy, add sriracha to the mixture, or even a little bit more cayenne pepper.
- This curry is quite aromatic so if you make it be sure to open up your kitchen windows or you will be smelling curry for days (which may not be a bad thing!)
- Top with peanuts, cashews, chopped pecans or dried chickpeas for a delicious crunch.
- Serve over Jasmine, white, or brown rice. Or try our Super Easy Yellow Rice recipe for even more flavor!
More Delicious Curry Recipes
We love curry dishes around here!! They’re so fun to make together when we’re craving take-out but want to stay at home. You’ll love these sweet and savory recipes:
- Chicken Massaman Curry
- Coconut Curry Chicken with Peanuts
- Chicken Panang Curry
- Coconut Curry Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Salad Curry Wraps
How to Make Chicken Coconut Curry
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch chunks or strips
- 1 tsp salt and pepper or to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne optional, depending on how spicy you like it. We like it HOT, so we did about 2 tsp.
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 golden potatoes cut into chunks
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes stewed
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- Jasmine rice cooked
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat oil, curry powder, and cayenne in a large skillet over medium-high heat for five minutes. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 10 minutes more or until onions are very clear. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear. Add potatoes, then add coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped cilantro, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve with Jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro.