This Easy Yellow Rice side dish complements just about any meal! You can make this on the stove-top or in the rice cooker. So tasty!
This easy yellow rice recipe is one of our favorite side dishes. It seriously goes with almost anything! You can keep it plain or spice it up to go with different meals (see below for different add-in suggestions). If you are in a rush and don’t have time to make it over the stove, you can also throw all the ingredients in a rice cooker and do it that way– it will taste the same but the texture doesn’t seem to come out quite the same in my opinion, it doesn’t turn out as light and fluffy. We love serving this rice with
Peas- Add frozen peas to the rice while cooking for an easy way to add color, texture, and some added nutrients, diced carrots don’t hurt either
Cajun-Style- Add chopped onion, red and/or green bell pepper, and/or diced jalapeno while sauteing the rice. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning to taste before adding chicken broth. After rice is finished cooking, stir in cooked/grilled smoked sausage, shrimp, or chicken. Red or black beans make a great addition, too
Indian-Style- Add about 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 4 cardamom pods, and a handful of golden raisins before bringing to a boil for an Indian-style twist
Mexican-Style- Add jalapeno and diced onion to the rice while sauteing and sprinkle with a little cumin before adding broth.
The possibilities are endless– mix and match any of these to create the perfect easy yellow rice side-dish for your next family meal!
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the rice and gently stir until rice begins to lightly brown.
- Add garlic, onion powder, and turmeric and stir until well mixed in.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and raise heat to medium-high. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mix to a boil then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and add cilantro, and fluff with a fork. Serves 4.