This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Chicken Panang Curry will quickly become on of your favorite Thai recipes. SO easy to make, loaded with veggies, and the whole family will love it!
Chicken Panang Curry
Panang Curry, if you have never had it before, is typically a little more mild than most traditional curries. The flavor, in my opinion, is somewhere between Massaman Curry and Red Curry. The balance of flavors is absolutely delicious — when I made this for my family, they were begging for more (even the toddlers)! In the recipe, I added some vegetable suggestions to add to the curry, last time I made this I put ALL of the vegetables in and it took it to a whole new level (I love my curry packed with veggies though. It makes me feel like I am eating healthier). Add all the vegetables or just one or two, whatever you think your family would like best!
What is Curry?
Curry is a combination of spices often associated with Indian and Thai cooking. Several variations exist and the combination can include five or 10 or more spices. Some of the common spices include ginger, turmeric, cumin, black pepper, fenugreek, chili pepper and more. It is difficult to classify the flavor of curry because it includes a combination of both savory and sweet. It can be quite spicy, or more mild depending on the spices included in the mix.
Incorporating Thai food into your regular meal planning adds depth to your culinary experience. There are so many great dishes to try.
- Two Minute Thai Peanut Noodles jazzes up ordinary ramen noodles for a great new taste.
- Creamy Thai Peanut Dressing is zesty, tangy and slightly sweet — perfect way to dress up your salad.
- Thai Chicken Salad Wraps are everything you love in an Indian or Thai dish, wrapped in a tortilla.
- Thai Chicken Enchiladas are a filling, fresh, spicy and sweet way to enjoy your meal.
Chicken Panang Curry
- 4 oz Panang Curry Paste
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- 1 Lb. chicken breast sliced into thin strips
- 4 c. coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp palm sugar regular sugar works fine if you can’t find palm sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- Optional all to taste unless specified:
- potatoes peeled and diced small (about 2 potatoes)
- fresh peas
- diced tomatoes
- carrot shredded
- sliced cashews or peanuts
- red bell peppers thinly sliced
- fresh chili peppers for garnish
- Kaffir lime leaves or Thai basil leaves for garnish
- In a large skillet, stir fry Panang curry paste with coconut oil until curry becomes fragrant.
- Add chicken and cook until chicken becomes white (doesn’t need to be cooked through).
- Slowly add coconut milk and bring to a light simmer.
- Add remaining ingredients (including optional vegetables like potatoes*, peas, tomatoes, carrot..etc..). Simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with jasmine rice.
- *If you dice the potatoes bigger, you may want to quickly boil them until fork-tender before adding them to the curry.
- Serves appx. 4