Chicken Tortilla Soup is a healthy, nourishing soup perfect for chilly winter evenings. Top it with cheese, tortilla chips and avocado for a satisfying supper!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of those comfort foods I constantly crave during the winter months, even into spring. Tender chunks of chicken and spices simmer together, making the house smell heavenly. It just creates a homey feeling, you know? You can eat it plain for a healthy lunch or dinner, or go all out and add cheese, crispy chips, sour cream or avocado to elevate it from ordinary soup to outstanding supper in no time!
My family likes a lot of spice, so I love to add a little extra chili powder, cumin and garlic in this tortilla soup. For extra heat you could toss in chopped jalapenos, cilantro, a dash of Tabasco sauce or peppers. Feel free to experiment and see what your family enjoys.
Suggestions for This Recipe
- Start your soup with a chicken broth or chicken stock. Just this one step enriches the flavor of your soups immensely. If you don’t have any canned or boxed chicken broth on hand you can make your own by boiling your chicken in water with a little dried onion and some chicken bouillon.
- To keep sodium levels down, try a low sodium broth.
- This recipe makes a big batch of soup. It will store safely for up to four days in the refrigerator. It freezes well too, so make sure to freeze in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags, and it’ll stay fresh for up to three months.
- The majority of this soup is gluten-free, as long as you check labels on your chicken broth or chicken bouillon. Many brands contain wheat which will be shown on the label, so look for an alternative GF brand or make your own broth.
- On super busy days, toss the ingredients in a slow cooker and let it do all the work.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
There’s just something about a soup simmering on the stove to instantly create a homey, cozy feeling. Try a few of these savory recipes and indulge in delightful comfort!
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- Ham and Bean Soup
- Basil and Sweet Pea Soup
- Weight Loss Magic Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup
- Zuppa Toscana Soup Olive Garden Copycat
- Slow Cooker Cheese Tortellini Soup
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 (14.5 ounce cans) chicken broth
- 2 cans corn drained
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup salsa we like using El Pinto brand salsa, it has GREAT flavor!
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- sour cream to taste
- In large pot boil chicken for about 25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken, cool, and shred.
- In a large skillet cook onion, garlic in the oil and add cumin. Cook until onions become clear.
- Drain water from the pot you cooked the chicken in add chicken broth and onion & garlic mixture.
- Add shredded chicken,corn, chili powder, lemon (or lime) juice and salsa to the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 min.
- Top with corn chips, cheese, avacado, and a little sour cream.
- *You can also use the chicken broth from cooking the chicken. Strain the chicken broth and then add additional chicken broth to make 5 1/2 cups.