Homemade Tortilla Strips are fast and easy to make and are a perfect crispy topper to salads, burritos and more. Only THREE ingredients!
Homemade Tortilla Strips
These Homemade Tortilla Strips are so easy to make and so much cheaper than the ones you can buy at the store. With only three ingredients, you can make several batches at a time and store them for when you want to top your salad with an extra crunch, or toss them in wraps, on soups, or just to snack on when the munchies strike. And because they’re homemade, they taste much fresher than the ones you can get at the store. I promise, it’s worth making your own.
Crispy Strips in Three Ingredients
These crispy tortilla strips come together with just three simple ingredients. Here’s all you need:
- Corn tortillas (I usually use yellow, but you can use white corn tortillas too)
- Oil for frying (I like a good vegetable oil or corn oil)
- Kosher salt (I prefer the larger, coarser salt crystals to regular table salt when making this recipe. You can use sea salt too)
Tips for Making Perfect Corn Strips
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the corn tortillas into strips, usually about a quarter of an inch wide.
- I found if you stack two or three tortillas together, you can still cut them evenly and it cuts down on the process quite a bit.
- Make sure your vegetable oil is really hot before adding tortillas.
- Working in batches, fry the strips in the hot oil. Make sure to not overcrowd the pan.
- Once they’re crisp and golden, let the strips dry on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle each warm batch with kosher salt and let them cool.
- Store in an airtight container or bag for about a week. Any longer than that and they can taste stale.
- You can also freeze the tortilla strips; they’ll stay nice and fresh in the freezer for up to a month. Pull out a handful when you’re making a salad or a bowl of soup.
What to Serve with Crispy Strips
These homemade tortilla strips are perfect for any salad, wrap, soup, or more. Try them on some of our favorite recipes:
- Cafe Rio/Costa Vida Sweet Pork Salad
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Cafe Rio Tortilla Soup Copycat
- Emily’s Southwest Taco Soup
- Chipotle’s Crispy Tacos with Chicken
- Spicy Chicken Wraps
How to Make Homemade Tortilla Strips
- Cut tortillas into strips using a pizza cutter. You can cut 2-3 at a time pretty easily. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Place strips into hot oil and fry until they become crispy. When nice and crispy, remove from oil and place on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt after each batch.