This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This easy Chicken Pho recipe uses a whole rotisserie chicken! Use the bones to make a savory, nourishing broth and use the meat for the soup.
Featured with this recipe
Make soup that will warm you to the bone! Pho is overflowing with a bewitching blend of spices. This creates a savory soup with a hint of sweetness. Good to the last drop, this is a soup that will have you scraping the bottom of the bowl. Although tender noodles and chicken make up the bulk of this soup, you don’t want to forget the toppings! Essential to the pho experience, load your bowl with fresh toppings to make it even more delicious.
Ingredients in Chicken Pho
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Pho Spice Packet – I got this one on Amazon. It comes with a little pouch that you put the spices in while the broth is cooking. It includes anise seed, fennel seed, coriander seed, cinnamon, clove, and fructus amoni.
- Fish Sauce
- Chicken Bouillon
- Rice Noodles
- Bean sprouts
- Green onion
- Jalapeno slices
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro
- Basil leaves
- Thai basil
- Lime wedges
- Chili crisp
Assembling Your Bowl
To create your perfect bowl of pho, start by adding your noodles and shredded chicken to the bowl. Next, ladle the hot broth over top. If you have gathered herbs and garnish toppings, arrange these now.
To eat leftovers, heat up the pho broth, bringing it to a boil. Once you have done this, you can assemble your bowl of pho just like your normally would.
Only toast the spices for 1-2 minutes. Any longer and they can release a bitter taste.
Frequently Asked Questions about Chicken Pho
Pho is traditionally made with thin rice noodles. These won’t overcook in the broth. Look for a fettucine or linguine shape, but the noodles will be made of rice.
The base is either chicken or beef broth, you can choose which depending on what type of pho you are making. As far as flavor, pho usually has a combination of cinnamon, star anise, cloves, coriander, fennel seeds, and ginger which all work together to make a warm and aromatic broth.
You’ll find thin strips of meat in the broth, and a large handful of different garnishing toppings.
Enjoy your pho with a large spoon and chopsticks if you can!
Read Next: 35+ Easy Family Dinner Ideas
More Recipes Like This
How to Make Chicken Pho
- large stock pot
- Separate the rotisserie chicken meat from the bones. Save the bones and put the meat in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Place the onion and ginger in a pan and broil on high for a few minutes, until some charring forms on the outside of the onion.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Add spices and toast for 1-2 minutes. Pour spices into the provided pouch.
- Add the chicken bones to a large stock pot. Add 4 quarts of water, the broiled onion and ginger, spice pouch, fish sauce, sugar, and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- While the broth is simmering, cook rice noodles according to package directions.
- Remove bones, spice pouch, onion, and ginger from the broth. Strain the broth until it is clear. Bring it back to a boil.
- To assemble your bowl: add rice noodles, shredded rotisserie chicken, and any desired toppings to the bowl.
- Pour hot broth over the top. Add sriracha, hoisin, and lime as desired.
- Nutrition Facts do not include toppings.
- To reheat leftovers, bring broth to a boil and assemble your bowl. Pour hot broth over the bowl.
- If your broth needs more flavor, add a little more chicken bouillon or a few dashes of soy sauce.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.