Crab Cakes with Homemade Tartar Sauce are infused with lemon and dill and have a buttery crumb outer layer. A delectable dish that’s really easy to make!
Crab Cakes with Homemade Tartar Sauce
Crab Cakes are one of my very favorite tasty appetizers. We’re picky about our seafood around here, and we won’t stand for anything that tastes too “fishy”. Plus I like to add spices and flavors to enhance the natural freshness of the sweet crab. They taste fancy but could not be easier to make! These are such fun to serve during the summertime with our homemade tartar sauce and french fries, or a simple garden salad. They’re also fun to serve buffet style during the holidays. Read on for tips on making the very best crab cakes!
Tips and Suggestions for Crab Cakes
- The very best tip for the very best crab cakes is to start with the very best meat! I found some delicious crab meat in a container in the Costco refrigerator section. The large chunks of meat taste fresh and oh so yummy!
- Please don’t use imitation crab meat or crab from a can. The cakes will not taste as fresh.
- We like to use Panko breadcrumbs when frying these cakes. Panko crumbs are light, not too gritty, and create the perfect crispy crust.
- The simple seasonings in this recipe are easy to find and you probably already have them in your pantry. Dill, cayenne pepper, Old Bay seasoning, some Worcestershire sauce bring out the sweet flavor of the crab.
- And don’t forget lemon juice! You can use bottled lemon juice, but I love using fresh juice from a lemon. The lemon will help brighten the flavors and give such a vibrant element to the dish.
- Use good quality vegetable oil for frying. They’ll crisp up in no time and taste absolutely scrumptious!
Delicious Dipping Sauces
In my mind these crab cakes aren’t complete without a healthy amount of our Homemade Tartar Sauce or our spicy Remoulade Sauce. The tartar sauce is mild, tangy and perfect for putting on all sorts of fish dishes. If you like a kick to your sauce, our Remoulade sauce adds a zesty punch to your crab cakes. I I can never choose, so we always have both on hand.
What to Serve with Crab Cakes
Serve these crab cakes hot or cold with any number of these side dishes, and plenty of dipping sauce of course!
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Creamy Green Pea Salad with Bacon
- KFC Coleslaw Copycat Recipe
- Fresh Mango Avocado Coleslaw
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
How to Make Crab Cakes with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Mix together everything except the crab, breadcrumbs, and oil in a medium size bowl. Mix together until thoroughly blended, then stir in the crabmeat and half of the breadcrumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a fry pan over medium heat. There should be about 1/2 inch of oil in the bottom of the fry pan.
- Using about 1/2 cup of the mixture make flat patties, then pat in remaining bread crumbs.
- When oil is hot, fry until each side is nice and lightly browned. Remove from pan onto a plate lined with paper towels to catch excess grease.
- Serve with tartar sauce or spicy remoulade sauce.