Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon is always a favorite side dish at barbecues or potlucks. You will love how and versatile it is! So many options with this crisp, vibrant salad.
Creamy Green Pea Salad with Bacon
Creamy Green Pea Salad with Bacon is one of our favorite spring and summertime side dishes. Crisp green peas are a staple around our house, whether we grow our own or raid our mom’s garden! But even on the years we don’t plant peas, we love to make this vibrant, crisp and creamy pea salad. The dish just adds the right amount of color and flavor to so many summer meals. It’s easy, low carb, completely gluten free and so yummy! Make this creamy, green pea salad for your next patio picnic, spring luncheon or neighborhood potluck supper.
Suggestions for Pea Salad
- To make this salad a bit more healthy, you can substitute Greek Yogurt for the mayo in the sauce.
- If you like the flavor of Miracle Whip instead, swap that for the mayo too.
- Add a little extra vinegar to give the sauce a bit more zing.
- Another sauce option is to use Ranch or Italian dressing. It won’t be as creamy but it’s really delicious!
- Use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon if you wish.
- If you want to use less cheese, you can shred the cheese instead of using chunks. That’ll make it go further too!
Additional Mix-in Ideas
I have seen this recipe made about a dozen different ways at least. Everyone seems to have a preference with their pea salad. Some just like it creamy, some like it to have some crunch. It really just depends on your taste. Personally, I just like it how it is. “If it ain’t broke.. ” ya know? Anyway, for those of you who want to add a little something more, here are some common mix-in ideas:
- boiled egg
- diced ham
- smoked almonds
- green onion
- chopped red onion
- chopped mint
- water chestnuts
More Tasty Salads
For more scrumptious side dish recipes for your next barbecue or potluck, try some of these amazing salad recipes:
- Best Potato Salad Ever
- Mom’s Traditional Macaroni Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Blueberry Jello Salad
- Snickers Apple Salad
How to Make Creamy Green Pea Salad with Bacon
- Place frozen peas in a colander and rinse with cold water to thaw. It doesn't need to thaw completely. Just enough so the peas aren't sticking together.
- Place peas in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add mixture to peas and gently stir with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Gently stir in the crumbled bacon and cheese until combined.
- Add more salt and pepper, to taste, if needed.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.