This KFC Coleslaw recipe tastes just like what they serve at the restaurant but for a fraction of the price! The perfect side dish for BBQs and potlucks!
I love KFC coleslaw but hate paying $4 a pound for it. This recipe is CHEAP to make and it is so easy! You can get 4 times the amount of coleslaw for a fraction of the price you would pay at a deli. And trust me, this tastes much better than deli coleslaw!
What Goes Well With Coleslaw?
Coleslaw is such a versatile side dish. It goes well with so many different dishes. From BBQ dishes to sandwiches, to tacos, to baked or fried chicken dishes, coleslaw goes well with it all! Here are some of our favorites:
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Cajun Fried Chicken Po Boys
- Kalua Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Corned Beef Sandwiches
- Smoked Brisket
Tips for making KFC coleslaw:
- It’s ok to serve immediately, but it’s best if you let it sit overnight. It can even keep for up to 2-3 days, but toss once it starts to get mushy.
- It is best to draw out some of the water from the shredded cabbage before tossing with the dressing. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with a teaspoon of salt. Let it set for a 20-30 minutes or until water starts collecting on the surface and then rinse and pat dry. This will also keep it from getting watery after you mix it with the dressing.
- Use actual buttermilk. I know that milk and lemon juice is a common buttermilk substitute, but it just doesn’t taste as good when you do that with coleslaw.
- For the best results, don’t make it weird. The reason people love KFC Coleslaw so much is because it is a simple, no-frills coleslaw. If you want to keep it like the original, don’t go adding extra, unnecessary ingredients like pineapple, oregano, peppers… you get my point.
How To Make KFC Coleslaw
- Chop up the cabbage into smaller shreds and toss with julienned carrot.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, lemon juice and mustard, and whisk until smooth. Add the cabbage and carrots. Mix well.
- Add the cabbage and carrots. Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.