This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes make the perfect side dish. They bake open face down in parmesan cheese creating a delicious buttery, cheesy crust.
Featured with this Recipe
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Potato Halves
- Ingredients for Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Tips for Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- How to Serve Baked Parmesan Potatoes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What To Serve With Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- The Best Potato Recipes
- More Potato Side Dishes
- How to make Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Parmesan Crusted Potatoes Recipe
Parmesan Crusted Baked Potato Halves
These Parmesan Crusted Potato Halves are a favorite side dish for all kinds of meals. The outer crust is buttery and cheesy and the inside is tender and flaky and so full of flavor. Try these as an alternative to quick baked potatoes. They cook up fast on a baking sheet and are always tender inside, crisp and buttery on the outside. This is a terrific side to make when you need to use up leftover potatoes. Dress them up with green onions or chives. Delicious!
Ingredients for Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
The beauty of this potato recipe is how simple they are to make! No complicated ingredients or time consuming steps. Here’s all you need:
- Potatoes – I like to use small russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe. Scrub potatoes and then cut them in half.
- Butter – use whatever butter you have on hand. Don’t use vegetable or olive oil.
- Grated Parmesan cheese – You can find fresh parmesan at any grocery store. Do not use another cheese like cheddar, it does not work well for this recipe.
- Garlic powder – if you have garlic salt, you can use that too.
- Salt and pepper – to taste
Ingredient Additions and Substitutions
- red pepper flakes
- cayenne pepper
- onion powder
- fresh parsley
Tips for Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- You can use parchment paper to cover the sheet pan but I have never needed it, with all the butter the potatoes don’t stick.
- Place baking pan in the oven with the butter while pre-heating until the butter melts.
- Place the potatoes cut side down on the baking dish.
- Sprinkle a little kosher salt over the skin side.
- Use a fork or a sharp knife to test if the potatoes are done before removing from the oven. Bottoms should be golden brown.
- Let the potato halves cool for at least five minutes before removing them from the pan. If you take them off the pan right out of the oven, the parmesan crust on the potato comes right off. But if you give it time and then take them off, the crust sticks to the potatoes beautifully.
- Serve with a side of sour cream or Ranch Dressing in a bowl. Toss on some fresh chives.
How to Serve Baked Parmesan Potatoes
These Parmesan Roasted Potatoes are great on their own, but we especially love dipping them in a side of sour cream sprinkled with a little dried basil. Ranch dressing is also REALLY good! You can make these with potatoes other than russets. We have made them with red potatoes and gold potatoes, and both were really good too. Try them for yourself and decide how you like them best!
Frequently Asked Questions
No, these cook up perfectly in the oven. No need to pre boil.
If cutting potatoes ahead of time be sure to store them in cold water in the fridge until ready to use- then thoroughly pat dry. This method will also get out some starch and increase crispiness but isn’t necessary.
Yes! No gluten in this recipe.
Store any leftover potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Re-heat in an air fryer, oven, or microwave.
What To Serve With Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
My husband always requests these crispy Parmesan Potatoes as a side dish to go along with when we are cooking meat on the grill. It’s nice because I can throw these in the oven while he is grilling and all the food is ready at the same time. Some of our favorite grill recipes that we serve up with the Parmesan Crusted Baked Potato Halves are our New York Steaks and our Kansas City Baby Back Ribs. Both are so yummy. And if you like grilled chicken you should definitely try our Grilled Malibu Chicken, Grilled Balsamic Chicken, and Grilled Coconut Curry Chicken.
The Best Potato Recipes
These Parmesan Crusted Potatoes have been such a huge hit with our readers, we have included them in our “Best Potato Recipes Straight From Idaho” post! You will find ALL of our top reader favorites in this post as well. Try them all!
More Potato Side Dishes
If you love potatoes as much as we do you should definitely try some of these other potato sides. Similar to how we make the Parmesan Crusted Potato Halves, we have our Coconut Pecan Sweet Baked Potato Halves. These are loaded with a coconut and pecan pieces and have a yummy cinnamon marshmallow dip. In the savory potato category we have our Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Potato Skins and Cheesy Bacon Potato Skins, both are awesome for appetizers and parties! If you like potato wedges and fries we have traditional Potato Wedges and Loaded Potato Wedges and Sweet Potato Fries with a Tangy Chipotle Lime Dip. If you are a potato salad lover, we have you covered! Both our Homestyle Potato Salad and Bacon Gorgonzola Potato Salad are so incredibly good.
How to make Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Conventional Oven
- 9 X 13 inch Pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter and pour into a 9×13 inch pan and spread evenly across the bottom.
- Scrub potatoes and cut into halves along the widest part of the potato.
- Generously sprinkle Parmesan cheese and lightly sprinkle other seasonings all over the butter.
- Place potato halves face down on the butter and seasonings. Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool for at least a FULL 5 minutes before removing from the pan, otherwise the parmesan crust won't stick to the potato.
- Serve on a plate with a side of sour cream or Ranch dressing for dipping.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.