This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Cupcake Christmas Tree is the BEST dessert to bring to holiday parties. Not only does it look adorable, but the cupcakes are INCREDIBLY moist and the frosting is to die for!
Featured with this recipe
This dessert has a big wow-factor without hours of work! I am all for simple yet classy, and this is the epitome of that! This is the dessert you will love to take to your Christmas parties! Make it either with vanilla or even a chocolate cupcake tree. Add vanilla buttercream to the top with green food coloring and you have a festive dessert everyone loves!
Make this Christmas tree for your next holiday party! It is perfect for serving individually, yet it comes together as one dessert to share. There are several ingredients that will surprise you. When I first saw mayonnaise on the ingredient list I had my doubts, but TRUST ME, it makes all the difference. I also love that they have almond extract in them. You really can’t go wrong adding almond to a dessert, in my opinion!
Ingredients for the Best Christmas Tree Cupcakes
In a medium bowl get ready to mix together some fun magic! All you need in a mixing bowl and cupcake pan to make this simple shape of a tree. These Christmas tree cupcakes have special ingredients that will blow your mind! Trust us, these are all vital in making these cupcakes the best!
- Funfetti cake mix – Make it easy by using this boxed cake mix or make it homemade and add in sprinkles to the batter.
- Egg whites – This is a little secret for these cupcakes! Only use the egg whites of an egg to help aid in a fluffy cake batter.
- Oil – Moist cupcakes comes from oil not butter. This amount of oil is small and will make a huge difference in how moist and soft your cupcakes are.
- Milk – Here is another amazing ingredient that will help keep your cupcakes soft and fluffy!
- Mayonnaise – This is a secret ingredient that boosts boxed mixes and takes it to the next level. This will add in a rich flavor too.
- Vanilla – Brings all the flavors together!
- Almond extract – Adds a savory taste to the tree cupcakes and adds to the mixture.
How to Make Homemade Frosting
Making frosting from scratch is easier than you think! It is so easy to mix together and have frosting anytime you need. No more purchasing store-bought canisters when you have this easy to make homemade frosting!
- Butter – Soften your butter to room temperature. You will want to have it soft enough to press your finger into but not melted. This will help with mixing together.
- Powdered sugar – This is a thickener as well as sweetens and gives the frosting its depth. It is similar to a flour mixture.
- Vanilla extract – Add just enough for flavor. It will tint the white frosting but with the food coloring it will be okay.
- Cocoa powder – Use this for the chocolate frosting on the tree stump.
- Food coloring – It is best to have food coloring on hand. Once you start baking, it is always fun to add in colors to your favorite treats!
Tips for Decorating Christmas Tree Cupcakes
There are so many tips and options to make these cupcakes really stand out and be the hit of a party! Not only can you make Christmas tree cupcakes, but also a couple other design ideas. Learn to pipe and get the perfect color for your icing using these helpful tips.
- Coloring – Get the perfect coloring with green candy melts. Mix together until you have the shade you are looking for.
- Piping – To decorate these cupcakes, I used a piping bag and a large swirl tip. Make sure that you rinse and dry the piping bag REALLY well between each color.
- Cupcakes – Make sure that the cupcakes are cooled completely on a cooling rack before you frost them, otherwise the frosting will melt.
- Frosting – When you are making the frosting, if it gets too stiff, you can add a tablespoon of milk to soften it. If it is not stiff enough, add a little powdered sugar at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Switch it up! To switch things up, you can use red and white frosted cupcakes to create a Santa hat or a candy cane!
“These are the easiest and cutest cupcakes to make! The kids love to help!”-Ashley
Frequently Asked Questions
While the cupcakes are cooling, in a mixer, mix together the frosting and food color. Once you reach the color you are wanting, scoop the frosting into a piping bag or ziplock bag with the end cut. We used a star tip, but any tip will be great to add swirls to each cupcake. Add sprinkles, shredded coconut for snow, and/or different colors for the star and tree stump. Make your tree just as you like it!
Place the cupcakes unfrosted in an airtight container. You will want to make sure they are completely cooled off before layering. If not, your cupcakes will stick to each other and even the parchment or wax paper you use in between.
There are a few reasons this can happen. It is always a bummer, but to hopefully help avoid this, store the cupcakes in an airtight container away from sunlight or anywhere hot. Also, keeping them in the fridge for a few days will help keep them moist and fresh for a few extra days longer.
Storing Cupcakes and Making Ahead
These cupcakes are easy to make ahead and store in the refrigerator, countertop, or even the freezer! Store in an airtight container without the frosting. These store really well and will continue to stay moist. When ready to enjoy, set them out at room temperature. This will help warm them up slowly but still lock in the moisture and not dry them out.
Other Cupcake Recipes You’ll Love
If you love these Christmas Tree Cupcakes, try these other delicious cupcake recipes!
Cupcake Christmas Tree
- Muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix cake mix, egg whites, oil, milk, mayonnaise, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir until combined.
- Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While cupcakes are baking, cream the butter in a large bowl.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, stirring well and scraping the bowl between each cup.
- Add vanilla extract, mix until combined.
For the chocolate frosting
- Take out ¼ cup of vanilla frosting and place in a small bowl.
- Add ½ Tablespoon cocoa powder and mix until combined.
For the yellow frosting
- Take out ¼ cup of vanilla frosting and place in a small bowl.
- Add about 5-6 drops of yellow food coloring and mix until combined.
For the green frosting
- Add about 12-15 drops of green food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting.
- Frost cupcakes and add sprinkles. Lay out the Christmas tree design on a large platter. Enjoy!
How to Store CupcakesThese cupcakes are easy to make ahead and store in the refrigerator, countertop, or even the freezer! Store in an airtight container without the frosting. These store really well and will continue to stay moist. When ready to enjoy, set them out at room temperature. This will help warm them up slowly but still lock in the moisture and not dry them out.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.