If you are a fan of Mounds candy bars, you will love these Mounds Cupcakes! There is rich chocolate and chewy coconut in every incredible bite.
If you lean to Almond Joy’s you can top the cupcake with an almond or two to get that almond crunch and flavor.
I have always loved the combination of chocolate and coconut. The coconut filling in this recipe is made with marshmallows which gives the coconut kind of a chewy and creamy texture – just like the candy bar. The chocolate topping is rich and smooth and melts in your mouth. It is tempting to just eat it right out of the pan with a spoon. I’ll admit I licked the spoon when I was done – I couldn’t resist!
This recipe for cupcakes also works great for a 9×13 cake or two 9″ round cakes. It’s actually much easier to make as a cake, but the cupcakes are fun too. When making this recipe as a cake, follow the same instructions as below. However, when the cake is cooled I like to poke holes in top of the cake so some of the coconut mixture seeps down into the cake. Once the coconut mixture is spread evenly over the cake, pour the chocolate topping over the coconut mixture and enjoy.
- Bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes.
- While cupcakes are cooking, melt marshmallows, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup milk together over medium heat. Remove from heat and mix in the flaked coconut. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, combine all chocolate topping ingredients (sugar, milk, butter, chocolate chips).
- Bring to a boil and keep at a rolling boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into a mixing bowl,and beat until creamy.
- When cupcakes have cooled completely, spoon coconut mixture onto each cupcake, then carefully spoon chocolate topping over the coconut mixture.
- See comments above for instructions to make a Mounds Cake instead of cupcakes.