If you are a fan of Mounds candy bars, you will love these Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes! There is rich chocolate and chewy coconut in every incredible bite.
Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
Cupcakes are such a delightful treat and there are so many variations to try. Mirroring a popular candy bar is one great way.
I have always loved the combination of chocolate and coconut. Hello, Mounds Candy Bars! The coconut filling in this recipe is made with marshmallows which gives the coconut kind of a chewy and creamy texture — just like the candy bar, but even better. The chocolate topping is rich and smooth and melts in your mouth. It is tempting to just eat it right out of the pan with a spoon. I’ll admit I licked the spoon when I was done. I couldn’t resist!
Cake or Cupcakes, You Choose
This recipe for cupcakes also works great for a 9×13 cake or two 9″ round cakes. It’s actually much easier to make as a cake, but the cupcakes are fun too. When making this recipe as a cake, follow the same instructions as below. However, when the cake is cooled I like to poke holes in top of the cake so some of the coconut mixture seeps down into the cake. Once the coconut mixture is spread evenly over the cake, pour the chocolate topping over the coconut mixture and enjoy.
Go Nuts, or Not
If you remember the classic commercial for Almond Joy and Mounds candy bars, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. If you feel like making this recipe into an Almond Joy copycat, go right ahead. Top the cake or cupcake with an almond or two to get that almond crunch and flavor. Or, leave it off. It’s totally up to you.
Keep Up the Cupcakes
If you enjoy sampling even more cupcakes, give some of these variations a taste.
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are perfect for a party. The cupcakes bake directly inside the cone, giving a great ice cream illusion.
- Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Frosting taste like something you would buy at an expensive cupcake shop. Creamy, lemon flavor in every bite.
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes give a fresh, zesty lime flavor for a bright, tangy summer dessert.
- Mini Cupcakes with Nutella Swirl are perfectly bite size and packed with deliciousness.
How To Make Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
- Bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes.
- While cupcakes are cooking, melt marshmallows, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup milk together over medium heat. Remove from heat and mix in the flaked coconut. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, combine all chocolate topping ingredients (sugar, milk, butter, chocolate chips).
- Bring to a boil and keep at a rolling boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into a mixing bowl,and beat until creamy.
- When cupcakes have cooled completely, spoon coconut mixture onto each cupcake, then carefully spoon chocolate topping over the coconut mixture.
- See comments above for instructions to make a Mounds Cake instead of cupcakes.