Shrimp Tempura Rolls (Godzilla Rolls) are by far my favorite sushi roll that I can make at home. Cream cheese, avocado, and shrimp all rolled into a fried roll with spicy mayo. Perfection!
Shrimp Tempura Rolls
These Shrimp Tempura Rolls, also called Godzilla Rolls, are my my favorite sushi rolls to make! They’re basically a combo of several different rolls that I love at sushi restaurants, but so much cheaper to make right at home. In fact, you can make about ten of these for the price you would pay for one at a restaurant! I realize this isn’t going to be a “family rotation” meal for any of you, but if you have an upcoming anniversary or just feel in the mood to make something different, this is a great one! I love the spicy mayo drizzled over the top. YUM.
No Raw Fish in this Sushi
These Shrimp Tempura Rolls don’t contain any raw seafood so I am not afraid to make them at home. I will only eat raw fish if I am at a trusted restaurant, and I am pretty picky about my raw seafood. I don’t dare to prepare it myself unless I know that I am getting it from ocean to my kitchen in less than 12 hours, so as you can probably guess with me living in BOISE, that doesn’t happen too often. This shrimp in these Godzilla Rolls is fully cooked so there are no worries!
What’s in a Godzilla Sushi Roll?
This recipe seems more complicated than it really is. Don’t be scared. Especially if you have made California Rolls, you will find that these Shrimp Tempura Rolls are easy. Once you get the hang of rolling sushi rolls, it’s really no biggie. Instead of battering my own tempura shrimp, I just bought the pre-made stuff in the freezer section of the grocery store. If you want to be fancy you can batter your own but that is too much work for me. If you don’t like battered shrimp, feel free to use just regular, cooked shrimp. Do whatever you like best. I also love the creamy avocado and tangy cream cheese in these rolls. So yummy!
More Scrumptious Shrimp Recipes
Shrimp is so easy to make and delicious in dozens of recipes! Once you’ve made our Shrimp Tempura Rolls, try some of our other favorites:
- Shrimp Po Boys with Creamy Cajun Sauce
- Bonefish Grill’s Bang Bang Shrimp (or chicken)
- Shrimp Taco Bites with Cilantro Cream Sauce
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
How to Make Shrimp Tempura Godzilla Rolls with Spicy Mayo
Shrimp Tempura Rolls (Godzilla Rolls)
- Bamboo sushi mat
- Lay the bamboo sushi rolling mat on a cutting board with bamboo strips going horizontally from you. Cover the bamboo with plastic wrap. Put a sheet of dried seaweed on top of the mat, shiny side down. Spread sushi rice on top of the seaweed and press firmly.
- Turn the sushi layer over so that the seaweed is on top. Place shrimp tempura, avocado and cream cheese lengthwise on the seaweed. Roll the bamboo mat forward, pressing the ingredients inside the cylinder-shaped sushi (the KEY is to roll it TIGHT). Press the bamboo mat firmly with hands, then remove the rolled sushi. For further rolling instruction, see the video below.
- Roll the roll in flour then dip entire rice roll in tempura batter and deep fry (oil heated to 350-degrees) for about 3 minutes or until batter turns crispy and golden brown (you DON'T need to do this in a deep fryer. You can just do about ½ c. – 1 c. of oil in a frying pan and keep turning the roll until it is golden brown on all sides). Remove from oil and let cool for a few minutes.
- With a VERY sharp knife, cut the sushi roll into 4-5 pieces. Top with spicy mayo.
For the Spicy Mayo:
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, sriracha, and sesame oil.
- Stir until completely combined. Store in the fridge until you are ready to use.