I could eat California Rolls all day long. They are one of my favorite snacks ever, but they are so stinkin’ expensive to buy here! They are much cheaper to make PLUS you can make a LOT more than what they give you at the store.
You will need some bamboo sushi mats for this recipe. You can get these for about $1 at any Asian Market.
For those of you who like a visual… I found this video online that will SHOW how to roll the sushi better than I can describe it… Click HERE for the video (This guy makes it look so easy, I am definitely not anywhere near as graceful as he is.)
Ingredients (with Amazon Links)
- Sushi Rice click HERE
- Nori dry roasted seaweed, about 5-6 sheets
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced into long strips
- 2-3 avocados peeled, pitted and sliced
- Imitation crab meat easiest if it is in the sticks, but the crab pieces work too
- sesame seeds
- Lay the bamboo sushi rolling mat on a cutting board with bamboo strips going horizontally from you. Cover the bamboo with plastic wrap. Put a sheet of dried seaweed on top of the mat, shiny side down. Spread sushi rice on top of the seaweed and press firmly.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the sushi rice. Turn the sushi layer over so that the seaweed is on top.
- Place cucumber, avocado and crab lengthwise on the seaweed. Roll the bamboo mat forward, pressing the ingredients inside the cylinder-shaped sushi. Press the bamboo mat firmly with hands, then remove the rolled sushi.
- With a VERY sharp knife, cut the sushi roll into pieces.