This Lasagna Soup has all the meaty, cheesy flavors of the popular Italian dish in a bowl! Tender noodles, hearty meat and a creamy cheesy topping that is to die for!
Our cousin, Angela shared this Lasagna Soup recipe with us years ago and we loved it! We couldn’t wait to share it with you. My husband, who generally doesn’t even like tomato-based soups, ate this up and went back for seconds. This soup is warm and hearty, full of tender noodles, savory beef and sausage meatballs, spices and a rich tomato broth. The show-stopper is a tangy cheese topping that melts in to create a creamy soup that makes a delicious meal any night of the week! Serve with a simple salad and some crusty bread. Delicious!
Suggestions and Variations for Lasagna Soup
- We like to use a half and half mixture of spicy sausage and ground beef for this soup. You can mold the mixture into meatballs and fry them up to add to the soup or just brown the meat and mix it into the soup.
- This soup tastes best with a sturdy noodle, like Rotini or Fuscilli. The pasta will hold its shape nicely and add bulk and depth to the dish.
- To speed up the cooking process, you can cook the noodles separately in another pot and add them to the soup.
- You can substitute Italian seasoning for the oregano and basil if you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand.
- Make sure to remove the bay leaves before serving the soup.
- This soup will freeze nicely WITHOUT the pasta or cheese mixed in. I sometimes make a double batch, then freeze half in a freezer safe container. To thaw, just add it to a saucepan and heat. Then, I’ll cook extra noodles and add them and the cheese to the soup.
- My kids like to serve themselves and add the cheese mixture and watch it melt into their bowl of soup. I serve the cheese mixture separately on the table so guests can add the amount they would like.
More Lasagna Recipes
Lasagna can be a fun, versatile dish and there are so many variations. Try some of our favorites:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Lasagna
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- Aunt Lana’s Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Lasagna Rollups
- Mexican Lasagna
How to Make Lasagna Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 small onions
- 4 garlic cloves crushed and/or chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs sausage or ground beef we did a half and half mix
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz. fusilli or rotini pasta
- 1/2 c. fresh basil
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella shredded
- salt and pepper to taste just a pinch
- Chop onions small, and sauté onions and fresh garlic in olive oil in a fry pan.
- Add sausage/ground beef mix and brown.
- In a stock pot, combine oregano, red pepper flakes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and bay leaves. Don't add the pasta and basil yet.
- Drain any excess fat drippings from the meat and add the meat to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil and then simmer for at least an hour then add the pasta about 15-20 minutes before serving. When the pasta is done add the basil.
- Mix the cheeses and salt & pepper together in a small serving bowl.
- When the soup is served in individual bowls, add a large scoop (at least 2 tbsp) into each bowl.