These Mexican Baked Strawberry Empanadas are the perfect dessert to any Mexican dish! They are super easy to make and so yummy! There are a variety of fillings that you can do for empanadas but I especially love to use fresh strawberries. I had to test these babies out before Cinco de Mayo, and after making them they are definitely going on the menu! I think next time I might try some nutella and strawberries for the filling as well.
We have a great recipe for homemade flour tortillas (here) that is amazing with this recipe. But if you want to take the easier route, you can usually find raw flour tortillas in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. I have gotten them at Costco and they are really good tortillas.
- Slice the strawberries and set aside in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside. Mix water and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When heated and melted together, slowly add in the sugar/cornstarch mixture while stirring constantly. Continue to stir over heat until sauce becomes thick, then remove from heat and add the vanilla. Let the sauce cool down a little then pour over the bowl of strawberries. strawberries.
- Spoon a line of the strawberry mixture along the center of a raw tortilla. Wrap the tortilla up and try to fold in the edges so the sauce stays inside. Lightly brush each empanada with butter then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. And place each one on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes, until tortillas are cooked and golden.
- Optional: top with whipped cream.