These Mexican Baked Strawberry Empanadas are a the perfect dessert with any Mexican dish. Sweet, delicious and so easy to make, your whole family will love them!
Mexican Baked Strawberry Empanadas
At the end of any great meal, sometimes you just want to finish with something sweet. These Mexican Baked Strawberry Empanadas are the perfect dessert to any Mexican dish! They are super easy to make and so yummy! You will love the combination of warm, crunchy tortilla, sweet strawberry filling, and cinnamon sugar on top.
What is an Empanada?
An empanada is a Spanish or Latin American pastry turnover that can feature a variety of sweet or savory fillings, prepared either baked or fried. The word “empanada” translates literally to mean “enbreaded.” In other words, wrapped or coated in bread. Yum! Right? Typically empanadas are made with homemade dough and they are fried. We use this baked empanadas method with tortillas for convenience. We have a great recipe for homemade flour tortillas (here) that is amazing with this recipe. But if you want to take the easier route, you can usually find raw flour tortillas in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. I have gotten them at Costco and they are really good tortillas.
So Many Fillings, So Little Time
There are a variety of fillings that you can use, but I especially love to use fresh strawberries. I had to test these babies out before Cinco de Mayo, and after making them they are definitely going on the menu! I think next time I might try some Nutella and strawberries for the filling as well. You can also make strawberry cheesecake empanadas by adding a layer of cream cheese inside the tortilla as well. If you want to use empanadas as the main course instead of dessert, there are a lot of savory options including meat, mushrooms, cheese and even seafood.
Make a Mexican Feast
Gear up for Cinco de Mayo, or any day of the year and enjoy a Mexican feast. Try some of our most popular Mexican-inspired recipes!
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Cheater Restaurant Style Refried Beans
- Sweet Pork Baked Burritos
- Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
How To Make Mexican Baked Strawberry Empanadas
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside. Mix water and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When heated and melted together, slowly add in the sugar/cornstarch mixture while stirring constantly. Continue to stir over heat until sauce becomes thick, then remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- While the mixture cools, slices the strawberries and place them in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture over the strawberries.
- Spoon a line of the strawberry mixture along the center of a raw tortilla.
- Wrap the tortilla up and try to fold in the edges so the sauce stays inside. Lightly brush each empanada with butter then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. And place each one on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes, until tortillas are cooked and golden.