I got this recipe from my sister-in-law, she makes her enchilada sauce from scratch and it is so delicious! I don’t think I will ever be able to go back to using the canned stuff. So here is the recipe – Kate’s Enchiladas from Scratch!
Kate’s Enchiladas from Scratch
Ingredients (with Amazon Links)
- ENCHILADA SAUCE:
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¼ c. chili powder yes, you really use that much
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 c. beef broth
- 2. c. tomato sauce
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 clove minced garlic
- salt to taste
- raw flour tortillas from Costco
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded ahead of time
- refried beans
- white rice we cooked it with some lime and cilantro
- canned white corn drained and rinsed
- shredded cheddar cheese
- FOR THE SAUCE: Stir oil, flour, chili powder and cumin in a saucepan on low heat until bubbly. Add beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano, garlic and salt. Simmer for 15 min over low heat stirring occasionally.
- FOR THE ENCHILADAS: While sauce is simmering cook the flour tortillas in a large pan.
- Stir in some of the enchilada sauce to the chicken. Take a tortilla and layer it with beans, chicken, corn, and rice. Spray the bottom of a 9x13 pan and add the rolled up enchiladas. (You can fit about 8 to 10 enchiladas in the pan). Cover the enchiladas with the sauce then top with cheddar cheese. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.
- Serve with sour cream, tomatoes, and shredded lettuce on top.