Steak street tacos are little bites of heaven. The ingredients are few and simple yet they are bursting with delicious flavor!
I could probably eat about 30 of these steak street tacos in one sitting. They are SO delicious! In case you were wondering, the main difference between street tacos and your typical taco is SIZE. Street tacos are a bit smaller than regular tacos. You are supposed to be able to easily hold one in your hand and eat it on the go, thus the name “street tacos”. They are versatile and can be made MANY different ways with MANY different fillings.
What I love most about street tacos is their simplicity. More often than not, they are made with only a few simple ingredients. Most of the street tacos I have had don’t even have a sauce or salsa on them. For this recipe, there is so much flavor, extra toppings or sauces just aren’t needed. Of course you can add them if you really want to (just please don’t put ketchup on them… talking to you, Dad).
The toughest thing to find at the store for street tacos is the tortillas. I have seen Mission brand street taco-size flour tortilla shells lately at my grocery store. They are so cute and tiny! If you aren’t able to find actual street-taco tortillas, that is totally ok. Just get the smallest tortilla shells you can find. I was able to find these corn tortilla shells just at my local grocery store. They were quite a bit smaller than all of the corn tortilla shells around them so I just went with them. If you are really want to get the SMALL size but can’t find them at your grocery store you can get large tortillas and cut them into smaller tortillas using a large cookie cutter. Technically there is no actual size requirement when it comes to street tacos, you just have to be able to eat them easily with one hand.
Now for the TYPE of tortillas.. corn or flour? It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer corn tortillas to flour, but either kind works. Give these little guys a try. You will not be disappointed!
- Remove steak from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Rub with salt and seasonings and set aside.
- Grill, only flipping once, until internal temperature reaches 155-degrees. Remove from grill immediately and set aside for about 5 minutes. Internal temperature will keep rising to about 160-degrees (this is MEDIUM doneness).
- Cut steak into small, bite size pieces and place on tortilla shells. Top with onions, cilantro, and cotija cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Check out more recipes similar to these steak street tacos:
- Chipotle’s Crispy Chicken Tacos: If you like Chipotle, you are going to LOVE these chicken tacos. They taste just like Chipotle’s chicken tacos!
- Kalua Pork Tacos with Mango Salsa: If you are a fan of sweet and savory, these tacos are for you. Such a bright, island-y flavor.
- Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos: These Mahi Mahi tacos are everything you could ever want in a fish taco. Skip the fried fish tacos and give these a try! You won’t be disappointed!
- Chicken Lime Tacos: The zesty lime flavor in these tacos are out of this world! You are going to love them!
- Kristen’s Shrimp Tacos: These shrimp tacos are some of the easiest tacos you will every make. They only take minutes to prepare and they are AMAZING!