Curried Garbanzo Beans are another favorite side dish from our friend from India. They are loaded with Indian flavors, with rice it’s a very filling dish!
These curried garbanzo beans are so delicious as an Indian side dish or main dish or snack! My sister-in-law Paige first made me these a year ago when we were at a family reunion. When she came to visit again last month I begged her to make them again so I could document the recipe. They are so loaded with flavor and will fill you up along with a side of rice. I think I ate this for lunch every day until it was gone.
Paige also made us Mickey’s Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes HERE, it was so good!!
This recipe originally comes from Paige’s friend Mickey from India. I asked Paige to tell me a little bit more about Mickey and this is what she sent me:
- 1 cup of dried garbanzo beans
- Soak the garbanzo beans overnight, then drain excess water.
- Saute the cumin, onion, garlic, and jalapeño in the butter. Cook until onions are caramelized.
- Blend the 3 medium to large sized tomatoes add this to the onions and garlic sauté
- Put drained garbanzo beans with about 2 cups of water, salt, Indian spice, and the tomato garlic sauce in a crock pot.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours. If the beans have not popped open and the sauce is not coming together you can move them to the stove top and cook them at a soft bubbly boil until the sauce comes together. If lacking in flavor, add more salt and Indian spice.
- You can also used canned beans of you are short on time. Serve beans over rice and with naan bread.