This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Check out this chickpea salad recipe for a fast, flavorful, and healthy salad. Chickpeas are inexpensive and loaded with protein and fiber.
Featured with this recipe
This chickpea salad or garbanzo bean salad recipe is fresh, healthy, delicious, and perfect for summer. It is kind of like a vegetarian tuna salad. This salad makes a great side dish for a potluck or BBQ. It also goes great on toast or on a sandwich. The possibilities are endless with this chickpea salad recipe!
Toss some meat on the grill, cook up some corn on the cob, and serve this chickpea salad for a perfect summertime dinner. You could also eat it alongside our Sweet Teriyaki Grilled Ham Steaks, our scrumptious New York Steaks, or Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken. But it goes well with sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, and just about anything!
Ingredients for the Best Chickpea Salad
Combine all these delicious ingredients together to make the perfect chickpea salad with all the flavor! There are not many pantry staple ingredients but being as it is a salad all the ingredients are fresh and delicious in every bite!
- Chickpeas – Chickpeas are a legume that is high in protein. They are cream-colored and relatively round, and have the texture of a kidney bean. Chickpeas taste nutty with a buttery texture. Similar to any kind of bean, they come either canned or dried. Chickpeas are heralded as being a food rich in vitamins and minerals. In addition, they are high in fiber as well as protein. Because of the high protein content and mild flavor, chickpeas are a great substitute for meat in recipes for vegetarian and vegan diets.
- Celery – Celery adds a great crunch to this salad. You can chop it up into tiny pieces or leave it in bigger slices.
- Shallot – Shallots are very mild onions. They add a great savory flavor.
- Capers – Capers are the unripened flower buds of the caper bush. Capers add some salt and acidity to this salad.
- Dill – Fresh dill is the piece de resistance of this dish. It tastes so bright and fresh! You can chop it up small or leave it in large pieces.
- Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest – Make sure when you zest, to stop when you see white. If you zest the white part then it will taste very bitter. Stick with the yellow peel and it will taste amazingly delicious!
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is the base of the dressing. You can use regular mayo, or one of the avocado or olive oil mayos.
- Dijon Mustard – The mustard pairs up with the mayo to add more flavor to the dressing.
- Salt and Pepper – The capers will add salt, so make sure to taste before salting.
How to Make Chickpea Salad Recipe
Take your chickpeas to the next level with this simple-to-make chickpea salad! It is quick and easy to make and simple to have the ingredients on hand. Kids to adults love this salad, filled with flavor, and the soft, crispy texture each bite has to offer!
- Mash – Place the chickpeas in a large bowl. Lightly mash them with a fork or a potato masher.
- Combine – Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Toss together – Stir until everything is combined.
- Serve – Serve in a lettuce cup or on toast with lemon wedges. You can even make a chickpea salad sandwich!
Easy Chickpea Salad Variations
There are so many ways you can change up this chickpea salad. I make it a little different every time depending on what I have in the fridge. You can truly make this salad your own with all your favorite toppings and variations!
- Veggies – You can add more veggies like cucumbers, English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers, red onion, or red bell pepper to the chickpea salad.
- Tomatoes – Diced Roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes are always a sweet addition.
- Healthy fats – Add more healthy fats with olives or avocados to lighten the salad but also give it more healthy ingredients.
- Herbs – Bump up the freshness by adding more fresh herbs like fresh parsley, mint, or cilantro. All a great combination for salads!
- Spicy – If you are one that needs a little heat when eating, try sprinkling red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce over top.
- Even more – Bring in even more flavor with some minced garlic, a dash of red wine vinegar, or crumbled feta cheese. These all go well with this chickpea salad recipe.
This easy chickpea salad recipe starts with lightly mashing the chickpeas. You don’t want to mash them so much that it turns into hummus. Just mash them enough so that you get some of the creaminess.
“This salad was full of great flavors. It is nice to have such a healthy nutritious option that tastes so good!”-Dana
Yes! Chickpeas can be eaten from the can once opened. Drain the chickpeas and rinse! Add them to salads or make delicious hummus.
Chickpeas in general are high in dietary fiber. Adding chickpeas to your salad only helps build more nutrients and a healthy lifestyle. Chickpeas are known for protecting the good bacteria in your gut that break down and help your colon digest it slowly. They can even help regulate and more bowel movements easier. They can also help lower cholesterol too.
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are one and the same. The term people use to describe this legume varies from state to state. The name “chickpea” come from Latin origins and is generally the English name that is used. Garbanzo bean is the Spanish term for the legume.
I was raised in the western part of the United States and have always called this legume a “garbanzo bean.” My good friends from the East coast refer to it as a “chickpea.” It is interesting to see how brands label it. When purchasing canned chickpeas, I usually see both names on the label.
Yes! The longer this salad sits in the fridge, the more the flavors mix and mingle. A day or two ahead is the perfect timeline for prepping.
Storing the Perfect Chickpea Salad
You can store leftover chickpea salad in an airtight container in the fridge. It lasts in the fridge for about a week. When ready to enjoy, toss the salad ingredients together and you have another delicious meal!
More Delicious Salads
This chickpea salad is another favorite side dish that we make every summer, and really any other time of the year too, since the ingredients taste good year ’round. Try a few of these other delicious salads and make a meal out of any of them!
How to Make Chickpea Salad
Easy Chickpea Salad
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl. Lightly mash them with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Stir until everything is combined.
- Serve in a lettuce cup or on toast with lemon wedges.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.