Check out this Chickpea Salad recipe for a fast, flavorful and healthy salad. Chickpeas are inexpensive and loaded with protein and fiber.
This Chickpea Salad recipe is fresh, healthy, delicious and perfect for summer. It is kind of like a vegetarian tuna salad. This salad makes a great side dish for a potluck or BBQ. It also goes great on toast or on a sandwich.
- Chickpeas – Chickpeas are a legume that are high in protein. They are cream-colored and relatively round, and have the texture of a kidney bean. Chickpeas taste nutty with a buttery texture. Similar to any kind of bean, they come either canned or dried. Chickpeas are heralded as being a food rich in vitamins and minerals. In addition, they are high in fiber as well as protein. Because of the high protein content and mild flavor, chickpeas are a great substitute for meat in recipes for vegetarian and vegan diets.
- Celery – Celery adds a great crunch to this salad. You can chop it up into tiny pieces or leave it in bigger slices.
- Shallot – Shallots are very mild onions. They add a great savory flavor.
- Capers – Capers are the unripened flower buds of the caper bush. Capers add some salt and acidity to this salad.
- Dill – Fresh dill is the piece de resistance of this dish. It tastes so bright and fresh! You can chop it up small or leave it in large pieces.
- Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest – Make sure when you zest, to stop when you see white. If you zest the white part then it will taste very bitter.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is the base of the dressing. You can use regular mayo, or one of the avocado or olive oil mayos.
- Dijon Mustard – The mustard pairs up with the mayo to add more flavor to the dressing.
- Salt and Pepper – The capers will add salt, so make sure to taste before salting.
Chickpea Salad Variations
There are so many ways you can change up this chickpea salad. I make it a little different every time depending on what I have in the fridge. You can add more veggies like cucumbers (English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers), red onion, red bell pepper, and diced roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. Add more healthy fats with olives or avocados. Bump up the freshness by adding more fresh herbs like fresh parsley, mint, or cilantro. Bring in even more flavor with some minced garlic, a dash of red wine vinegar, or crumbled feta cheese. In conclusion, you can truly make this salad your own!
This recipe starts with lightly mashing the chickpeas. You don’t want to mash them so much that it turns into hummus. Just mash them enough so that you get some of the creaminess.
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are one and the same. The term people use to describe this legume varies from state to state. The name “chickpea” come from Latin origins and is generally the English name that is used. Garbanzo bean is the Spanish term for the legume. I was raised in the western part of the United States and have always called this legume a “garbanzo bean.” My good friends from the East coast refer to it as a “chickpea.” It is interesting to see how brands label it. When purchasing canned chickpeas, I usually see both names on the label.
You can store leftover chickpea salad in an airtight container in the fridge. It lasts in the fridge for about a week.
Yes! The longer this salad sits in the fridge, the more the flavors mix and mingle. A day or two ahead is the perfect timeline for prepping.
What to Serve with Chickpea Salad
Toss some meat on the grill, cook up some corn on the cob and serve this chickpea salad for a perfect summertime dinner. You could also eat it alongside our Sweet Teriyaki Grilled Ham Steaks, our scrumptious New York Steaks or Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken. But it goes well with sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, just about anything!
More Delicious Salads
This chickpea salad is another favorite side dish that we make every summer, and really any other time of the year too, since the ingredients taste good year ’round. Try a few of these other delicious salads and make a meal out of any of them!
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Creamy Green Pea Salad
- Mom’s Traditional Macaroni Salad
- Waldorf Salad with Crunchy Apples
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Creamy Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
Even More Salad Recipes
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl. Lightly mash them with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Stir until everything is combined.
- Serve in a lettuce cup or on toast with lemon wedges.