Sweet Sautéed Asparagus is the best way to prepare this gorgeous springtime veggie. The low-calorie side dish is sautéed, slightly sweet, and healthy!
Sweet Sauteed Asparagus
This Sweet Sauteed Asparagus is by far my favorite way to prepare asparagus. With only three ingredients, it’s so easy to make and everyone will be asking for more! I have mentioned several times throughout this site that any recipe coming from my Aunt Lana is a winner. This is one of them! I LOVE the sweetness to this asparagus and it always turns out perfect. You don’t get your soggy, overdone asparagus doing it this way. This healthy side dish complements so many meals, you can serve it over and over again. Your family will love it!
Health Benefits of Asparagus
Asparagus is one of those mild vegetables that even the pickiest of eaters usually like. And thank goodness, because this green veggie is so good for you! While it’s low in calories, it’s a terrific source of all kinds of nutrients, including vitamins A, C and K, along with fiber and folate. It’s proven to help promote weight loss, improve digestion, and lower blood pressure. Plus it’s delicious!
Tips for Perfectly Prepared Asparagus
- There are many ways to prepare asparagus, including oven roasting, which is so yummy! Try our Oven Roasted Asparagus recipe. You can also boil or steam it on the stove or toss larger spears on the outdoor grill.
- I love the sauteed method because it cooks up vibrant and green, with a hint of buttery, sweet flavor that can’t be beat!
- Make sure your asparagus is cut the right way. I like to snap one of the spears where it naturally bends, then line up the rest of the bunch and chop the ends off near where the first one snapped. That way you have perfectly even spears, beautiful and ready to serve.
- Sautee in butter and a little bit of sugar (that’s the secret!) for about five minutes or until they’re slightly browned. You don’t want to overcook or they’ll be soggy and flimsy.
- Season with salt and pepper, if necessary and serve immediately.
- This is one of those dishes you want to prepare right before serving, so the veggies don’t get cold.
What to Serve with Asparagus
Asparagus pairs so nicely with many dishes! From steaks to pasta to seafood, it goes with just about anything. Serve with Easter dinner or any other springtime meal:
- Creamy Bowtie Asparagus Pasta
- Grilled Sirloin Steak with Tomato Basil Sauce
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Pesto Chicken with Bacon and Roasted Red Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Blue
- Slow Cooker Zesty Italian Dressing Chicken
How to make Sweet Sautéed Asparagus
- Rinse and snap off the bottoms of each asparagus stalk (discard the bottoms). Melt butter in a large skillet and add asparagus. Sprinkle sugar over top of the asparagus. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or to your preferred doneness.