We adapted this recipe from my Mom’s friend, Dianne and combined it with a similar recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. It was delicious, even my kids loved it! This is BY FAR the best homemade sweet and sour chicken recipe I have ever had. The sauce is awesome– just as good if not better than any restaurant! Try it and see for yourself. You will want this recipe in your regular dinner rotation!
- 2 lbs. chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 c. cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2-3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 4 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar (white vinegar works too)
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp. chili paste (optional.. gives it a little kick)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cornstarch in a shallow dish. Dredge each chicken piece in cornstarch then dip in beaten egg. Heat oil in frying pan. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned (doesn't need to be cooked through).
- Place drained pineapple tidbits in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Position chicken tenders evenly over pineapple.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients. Pour evenly over chicken. Bake for 45 min - 1 hour turning once after 30 minutes.
- ***If you like lots of sauce for extra dipping... double it and pour half over the chicken (as the recipe calls for) and simmer the other half in a small saucepan for 10-15 minutes. If you want to thicken up the sauce combine about 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1/4 c. water. About 5 min before serving, SLOWLY whisk in cornstarch mixture to simmering sauce until the consistency is where you want it. You may not need all of the cornstarch mixture.