These Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs are such a GREAT weeknight meal when you don’t have a lot of time but you want to make a meal the family is going to love.
Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
This Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs recipe came from the Williams Family way back when our blog began. Since then I have made it dozens of times! They are super easy!
This recipe includes an actual recipe for meatballs if you want to make your own… but the last few times I have made these I have bought the turkey meatballs at Costco and used those! I have also used the Italian meatballs from Costco and those taste great too (I just feel less guilty eating the turkey meatballs and my kids don’t even know the difference)! I just dump in the meatballs with the sauce (and veggies and pineapple) and dinner is DONE. It is one of those great fix-it and forget-it crock pot meals.
Sometimes I like to saute the peppers to soften them up before adding them in, but you don’t have to– it just depends on whatever your family likes! Also, I doubled the sauce recipe on this because my family loves to eat the sauce over rice.. if you aren’t a big sauce fan, feel free to half the sauce part.
What to serve on the side
Of course these delicious sweet and sour meatballs go great with rice on the side, but there are other options to consider. A slightly healthier alternative to white rice is quinoa. While still carrying carbohydrates, quinoa packs high protein and fiber into every bite, while decreasing the calorie count by 40 per cup.
If you want to go even healthier, consider cauliflower rice, which has roughly 2.5 grams of carbs per cup (compared to 45 grams of carbs per cup for white rice).
Even more great Hawaiian flavors
Can’t get to the islands as often as you’d like, but still enjoy the flavor of Hawaii? This crock pot sweet and sour meatballs isn’t the only way to go. Check out these great options:
- Hawaiian Style Chicken and Long Rice
- Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- How to make a Hawaiian Plate lunch
Or keep your crock pot cooking even more tasty dishes like these:
How to make Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
For the Meatballs:
- Mix meatball ingredients together and roll into meatballs. Brown and cook over medium heat in large skillet until cooked through (Or you can roll them and bake them in the oven at 425 for 13-14 minutes).
- In a small mixing bowl, mix cornstarch and brown sugar. Drain pineapple juice into brown sugar mixture with soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup.
- Add meatballs, peppers, and pineapple tidbits to crock pot and pour sauce over.
- Cook on low for 2-4 hours or until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.