So this is now officially my new favorite way to do a roast. Next time I am going to make this like a regular roast and use the dripping to make a gravy. It is so incredibly flavorful and has a little bit of a kick to it. Trust me, this Italian Beef Roast sandwich is a real husband pleaser!
- 1 beef roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 cans beef consomme
- 1/2 jar (16 Oz) sliced pepperoncini peppers, with juice
- 1 packet dry good seasons italian dressing mix
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 package french rolls
- sliced pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 275. Place your beef roast in a large roasting pan, then pour the 2 cans beef consomme over the top. Pour 1/2 the jar of pepperoncini peppers, including juice, over the top. Then sprinkle the dry italian dressing mix, minced garlic, and kosher salt over that.
- Cook for about 6 hours, roast should easily shred, if not cook a little longer.
- When the roast is done, shred the beef into the juice and pepperoncinis.
- Open the french rolls and place open face up on a cookie sheet. Layer one side of each roll with sliced pepper jack cheese. Place pan under the broiler on high until cheese starts to melt. Remove pan from oven and line each sandwich with shredded beef, using a large fork or slotted spoon.
- Ladel out some beef juice into a small cup to use as ajus for dipping.
recipe adapted from the Pioneer Woman (HERE)