This Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich is light and crispy on the outside, juicy and flavorful on the inside. You will love the crunchy slaw topping. So good!
I went to visit my sister a couple years ago in Boise and she took me to this great diner place called “Donnie Macs Trailer Park Cuisine”. This place was featured on the Food Network show, Diners, Drive In’s, and Dives. I ordered this chicken sandwich when we went and I LOVED it. I told myself I would have to go home and duplicate it (which was easy, because again, they basically tell you how to do it in the clip). I came home and made these for my husband and he absolutely loved them. They are his new favorite chicken sandwiches. They tasted just like they did at Donnie Macs! Unfortunately, Donnie Macs is now closed, so the only way you can get this sandwich is making it yourself!
Our Version of Donnie Mac’s Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich
Ingredients (with Amazon Links)
- Place chicken breasts in medium-sized bowl and pour buttermilk over until chicken is pretty much swimming in buttermilk. Refrigerate overnight.
- For the sauce: Sauté corn until a little caramelized and coarsely chop in a food processor. Add buttermilk and ranch to food processor and pulse 1-2 times until well mixed. Stir in green onion and set aside.
- Combine breading ingredients until all ingredients are mixed in really well and pour in a shallow dish. Place chicken in bread crumbs. Press it down then let it sit for a few seconds so the break crumbs really stick on there.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, or deep fryer and add breaded chicken. Fry until golden brown and cooked through.
- Combine cabbage and about ¼ c.- ½ c. of the sauce to make the slaw (you just want the cabbage covered in the sauce, not drowning in it). Do this right before putting on the sandwich so it doesn’t get soggy.
- To serve: Toast Cibatta in toaster or oven until slightly toasted. Add a little of the remaining sauce to the bottom bun. Place fried chicken on bun, slap on some “slaw” and top with remaining bun.