I love a good Grilled Chicken Sandwich, especially with some grilled bacon, avocado, and a tangy aioli sauce. Best. Grilled Chicken Sandwich. EVER.
The layers on this chicken sandwich are HEAVENLY. You’ve got your grilled chicken, your gooey cheese, crispy bacon, smooth avocado, juicy tomatoes, and crisp lettuce between two soft ciabatta buns and slathered with a tangy aioli mayo.. seriously, what’s NOT to love here?
I have actually made these as sliders before and they are wonderful. Just cut up your chicken into smaller pieces, grill, and serve over slider buns. Kids love them this way because they can actually fit into their little mouths 🙂
If you are serving these with ciabatta bread, be sure it is pretty soft. You can cut the bread open, butter lightly, and place on the grill to crisp up a little bit, but still have that delicious softness inside.
When preparing the chicken, place the chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag and pound flat (no too much because you don’t want the chicken to tear). You just want even thickness so it will cook evenly on the grill.If you want to be ambitious with the bacon, feel free to cook it up on the grill (or even wrap the chicken in it). If you are doing it on the grill, I suggest wrapping it in paper towels and zapping the in microwave for just 30-seconds – 1 minute to get some of the grease off. This will prevent excess grease from getting into your grill and causing flames to rise and burn your bacon. Keep an eye on it closely because bacon tends to burn extra quickly on the grill!
Switch up your typical boring summer BBQ with a little pizazz. You won’t regret it! I
- Pound chicken breasts flat and place in plastic Ziploc bag.
- Combine marinade ingredients and add to chicken. Seal bag (pressing as much air out as you can) and marinade in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- In the meantime, pan-fry bacon until most of the grease is cooked off but not completely cooked through. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to soak up grease.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and grill over medium heat until cooked through.
- Top chicken with cheese and remove once cheese is melted.
- Add bacon to grill while chicken is cooking-- watch the bacon closely so it doesn't burn. Once the bacon is nice and crispy, remove from grill.
- Combine Spicy Aioli Mayonnaise ingredients and spread over toasted ciabatta rolls.
- Add chicken and bacon to each roll and top with remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot and enjoy!