This Grilled Chicken Sandwich is a classic recipe your family will love! Tender grilled chicken, bacon, avocado and topped with a tangy homemade mayo. YUM!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
This Grilled Chicken Sandwich is a delightful alternative to your ordinary summer barbecued burgers and hot dogs. Grilled chicken is so easy to make and is so delicious! This sandwich offers classic layers of flavor that just cant be beat in the summertime: tender chicken, crisp bacon, smooth avocado, juicy tomatoes and fresh lettuce between a soft ciabatta bun and slathered with a tangy aioli mayo.
Suggestions for this Recipe
- You can make these sandwiches into sliders! Just cut up the chicken into smaller pieces, grill and serve in slider buns. Kids love these because they can actually fit into their little mouths!
- If you are serving these with ciabatta bread, be sure it is pretty soft. You can cut the bread open, butter slightly, and place on the grill to crisp up a little bit, but still have that delicious softness inside.
- Try melting any cheese you like! I love a good Pepper Jack cheese for spice, but I usually make my kids’ sandwiches with provolone, cheddar, Swiss or Monterrey Jack cheese.
Kick up the Heat with Spicy Aoli Mayo
Jazz up ordinary mayo by mixing in some garlic, lemon juice, paprika, Dijon mustard and a couple of shakes of sriracha sauce and you’ll have a spicy, flavorful spread that takes this sandwich up like ten notches! It’s so yummy!
Fire up the Grill
When preparing the chicken to grill, place the chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag and pound flat (no too much because you don’t want the chicken to tear). You just want even thickness so it will cook evenly on the grill.If you want to be ambitious with the bacon, feel free to cook it up on the grill (or even wrap the chicken in it). If you are doing it on the grill, I suggest wrapping it in paper towels and zapping the in microwave for just 30-seconds – 1 minute to get some of the grease off. This will prevent excess grease from getting into your grill and causing flames to rise and burn your bacon. Keep an eye on it closely because bacon tends to burn extra quickly on the grill!
More Great Grilled Recipes
Keep that grill hot, because we have so many delicious recipes to keep you cooking outside all summer long!
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled Ranch Potatoes in Foil
- Fruit Kabobs on the Grill
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken
- Spicy Grilled Shrimp
How to Make a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Pound chicken breasts flat and place in plastic Ziploc bag.
- Combine marinade ingredients and add to chicken. Seal bag (pressing as much air out as you can) and marinade in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- In the meantime, pan-fry bacon until most of the grease is cooked off but not completely cooked through. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to soak up grease.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and grill over medium heat until cooked through.
- Top chicken with cheese and remove once cheese is melted.
- Add bacon to grill while chicken is cooking– watch the bacon closely so it doesn’t burn. Once the bacon is nice and crispy, remove from grill.
- Combine Spicy Aioli Mayonnaise ingredients and spread over toasted ciabatta rolls.
- Add chicken and bacon to each roll and top with remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill