This Princess Birthday Cake or Barbie Birthday Cake is every little girl’s dream! This recipe works for any size Barbie or Princess doll and is very fun to make!
Barbie Birthday Cake
Barbie Birthday Cakes were all the rage when we were little girls. We each had at least one birthday when our mom made us a sparkly Barbie cake with our favorite new Barbie doll. It was a perfect gift and cake in one. Now that Disney Princesses are all the rage, and the Disney Princess dolls are a similar size, you can make the same kind of cake with a favorite princess. The little girls in your life will adore it and you’ll be the hero of any party!
How to Make a Barbie/Princess Skirt
- Believe it or not, the skirt is baked in two glass bowls. You’ll need one medium and one small size. That’s all you’ll need for the base of the cake, or the skirt.
- The size of cake will fit any Barbie-size princess doll or Barbie doll.
- Mix two packages of cake mix (you can mix and match or use all one flavor, totally up to you.
- Following the directions in the recipe card below, bake cake according to package instructions.
- At exactly seven minutes after cooling, flip the bowls over and release the cakes from the bowls. That way you will avoid the cake sweating and sticking to the bowl.
- Stack the two cakes one on top of the other, with the larger one on the bottom, then trim off the excess to make a full skirt.
- I usually stick the whole thing in the freezer for about two hours to allow the cake to set. It makes it so much easier to frost later on.
How to Frost a Princess or Barbie Cake
Once the cakes are completely chilled, take your Barbie or princess doll (undressed) and stick her legs into the middle of the cake. Then decorate her bodice and skirt however you like. I love using our homemade Cream Cheese Frosting recipe but you can use any kind of frosting you prefer.
Don’t let the frosting of this cake intimidate you. Anyone with or without artistic skills can decorate a princess or Barbie cake! All you need is a basic decorating set with a few decorative tips. The hardest part is just making the same star-shaped pattern over and over. I’ll admit, it takes a strong and steady hand, but it’s totally worth it. A friend of mine recently made a Princess Tiana cake using a similar pattern and it turned out so cute! Use pictures or the actual doll’s dress as inspiration for how to decorate the cake. If it doesn’t look right, scrape it off and try again! You can do this!
More Delicious Birthday Cake Recipes
There’s nothing more I love in life than a slice of beautiful, luscious, moist birthday cake. Try a few of these recipes and find your favorites:
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Hawaiian Wedding Cake
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cake (Nothing Bundt Cakes)
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake
How to Make a Princess Birthday Cake
- In a large bowl, make up cake batter for both cake mixes. *Optional - for a more dense and moist cake substitute half of the water for the same amount of sour cream.
- Grease and flour a medium and small glass bowl.
- Fill with batter until they are a little over 3/4 full. Use remaining batter for cup cakes.
- Bake at 325 for about an hour or until the center feels set.
- At exactly 7 minutes after you remove the cake from the oven, turn out of bowl onto wax paper. This prevents the cake from sweating and sticking to the bowl.
- Stick the cakes in the freezer for a few hours until they are really firm.
- Layer the small cake onto the large cake and trim any over hang.
- Layer with frosting then decorate with more frosting. Stick your Princess or Barbie in the center of the cake and frost over her upper half to make it look like a dress.