This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake is the perfect holiday dessert. Simple to make and sinfully decadent, the name speaks for itself. It is ridiculously delicious!
Featured in this recipe
- Delicious Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- Tips and Variations to Making the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
- More Chocolate Cake Recipes To Try
- How to Make Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
- Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate cake is always a classic dessert that everyone loves! It is decadent with a sweet and savory taste. You can add vanilla or chocolate frosting to make it even sweeter, and fruit is always desirable on top or within the layers. You can’t go wrong when making a chocolate cake.
This is truly a ridiculously delicious chocolate cake that is a family favorite, and always a birthday cake that everyone loves to celebrate with. Layer this cake with fluffy whipped cream cheese icing in between luscious chocolate cake and it is a perfect combination for any special occasion.
Delicious Chocolate Cake Ingredients
Impress your family and friends with this decadent chocolate cake that looks over the top yet is so simple to make! In a large bowl, start mixing together the cake batter ingredients. Start with the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another. Combine the two to make this amazingly delicious chocolate cake come to life!
- Butter – When baking, I tend to use more unsalted butter in the batter. This helps control when and how much salt I am wanting to use. Have your butter at room temperature when ready to make. This helps cream together easier.
- Sugar – Sweetness is key here. Granulated sugar helps with balancing the chocolate ingredients.
- Eggs – There is a binder in eggs. It helps bring the ingredients together.
- Cocoa powder- Most chocolate cakes have cocoa in them. This is the perfect sweetness and semi-sweet chocolate that is needed for this cake.
- Vanilla extract – Stir in pure vanilla extract to add a hint of flavor.
- Flour – Use all-purpose flour to help combine the ingredients, giving it that thickness that helps build the batter up.
- Baking powder and baking soda – These two ingredients work with each other to help boost the cakes while they are baking. They help raise and give the chocolate cake the substance it needs.
Tips and Variations to Making the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
This favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe is simple and perfect just the way it is! Here are some extra tips to help you make it your own and enjoy it in different variations, if needed. You will love how moist and delicious this cake is!
- Cutting the cake – Use a serrated knife to cut through the layers of this cake. It will help make a smooth cut every time. In-between each slice of cake, wipe the knife using a paper towel or napkin to have a professional cake piece look on your plate.
- Gluten-free – Make this cake even better and serve it to everyone by using GF flour and ingredients to aid in that.
- Extracts – Instead of vanilla extract, try almond. This makes a nuttier and more flavorful cake.
- Frosting – For all the chocolate lovers out there, try it with a chocolate ganache or chocolate buttercream frosting to make this cake have more chocolate flavor.
“That was Yum-O! The frosting isn’t too much with the cake. We all loved it!”-Halsey
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make this cake in a number of different ways. But for a beautiful presentation, I love to slice the two rounds of cake into two pieces each so you end up with four layers of cake. Using an electric mixer, whip the whipped cream cheese frosting until it is soft enough so that it’s easy to spread between each layer. You can also freeze the cake layers to make it easier to get a nice thick layer of icing between each luscious chocolatey layer.
The trick to achieving that perfect moist cake is the eggs. Make sure they’re at room temperature. And using hot water in this recipe will ensure your cake is light, fluffy, not too dense, and with just the right amount of moisture.
Yes! This cake freezes beautifully for up to two months. You can either wrap the layers of cake separately until you want to make the frosting fresh and assemble the cake, or freeze the entire thing together. Just wrap it carefully and store in the freezer.
How to Store Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
Because of the heavy cream in the frosting, it’s best to store any leftover cake covered and in the refrigerator. Wrap the chocolate cake in plastic wrap to hold the cake in place as well as lock in the moisture. It will stay nice and fresh for up to five days. But let’s be honest, cake for breakfast never hurt anybody, so I’m not sure those leftovers will last that long anyway.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes To Try
We love our chocolate around here. There’s a chocolate cake recipe for just about any occasion. Try a few of these decadent desserts!
How to Make Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
- 9 inch Round Pans
- Electric Mixer
- Cooling Rack
- Mixing Bowls
- Preheat oven to 300. Combine butter, sugar, and cocoa. Add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowing add this to the rest of the mixture. While this is mixing, slowly add the hot water, letting all the ingredients melt together. Be sure to scrape the sides as you go. The finished product will be runny and soupy; do not worry, this means you did it the right way. Pour into round greased pans.
- Bake at 300 for about 30-40 min. Check it for 30 minutes and then every 5 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean when placed in the center of the cake.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool for 15 min before removing it from the pans. Let the cake cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- If you want a 4-layer cake as shown, cut each cake in half. Frost between each layer.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top of the cake with sifted powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries.
- Must keep refrigerated.
- First, beat the whipping cream with an electric mixer until it has thickened to stiff peaks stage – almost to the thickness of soft butter. Chill the beaters and the bowl in the refrigerator before mixing to speed up the process. Remove whipped cream from the mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add cream cheese, vanilla, salt, and 1 cup of powdered sugar to the mixing bowl. Mix until creamy and well blended.
- Alternately add whipping cream and remaining powdered sugar to the mixture, blending well between each addition.
How to Store Chocolate CakeBecause of the heavy cream in the frosting, it’s best to store any leftover cake covered and in the refrigerator. It will stay nice and fresh for up to five days. But let’s be honest, cake for breakfast never hurt anybody, so I’m not sure those leftovers will last that long anyway.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.