This Coconut Cream Cake is a coconut lovers dream! It is a coconut infused cake, with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with even more toasted coconut. You will be in coconut heaven with every bite.
This is a recipe you will want to keep on hand for special occasions, it is perfect for showers, birthdays, weddings, and having company over. We have even made it for Easter and dressed it up like a bunny. It is also a really good dessert for Hawaiian themed parties. But more often than not I like to make this cake for no reason at all other than I love this coconut cake.
IF YOU HAVE NEVER MADE THIS CAKE BEFORE BE SURE TO READ!
- 1 c. butter softened
- 1 3/4 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. cream of coconut Coco Lopez is the one I used, it can be found by the drink mixers at your grocery store- reserve another 1/2 c. to drizzle on the cake after baking
- 4 eggs large
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 lbs powdered sugar more if needed
- milk as needed
- Separate eggs, set whites aside.
- Beat wet ingredients together including egg yolks until fluffy.
- Sift dry ingredients together and stir well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet using mixer on low speed alternating with buttermilk/extract mixture.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Fold egg whites into batter.
- Line two 9-inch pans with baking spray and flour (or what works BEST is lining the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper- cut a circle for the bottom of the pan and a strip for the sides and still spray above and below the paper)
- Bake at 275 degrees for about 90 minutes (this cake comes out much nicer when cooked at a lower temperature).
After about 60 minutes, do the "toothpick test", repeating every 5-10 min or so until the toothpick comes out clean.
After the cake is out of the oven and transferred to parchment paper or a cooling rack, poke each cake with a few holes (making sure not to poke all the way through) and drizzle another 1/2 cup of coconut cream over the top. This keeps the cake extra moist.
- After the cake completely cools, gently cover it with some plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer to freeze overnight.
The next day, frost immediately after removing from the freezer (see frosting recipe below). This keeps the cake from crumbling while it is being frosted.
Put a layer of frosting in-between the two cakes and then continue to frost the remainder of the cake.
After frosting, sprinkle the cake with toasted coconut (instructions for toasting are below).
Allow the cake to thaw for about an hour before serving.
Beat butter, cream cheese, and coconut extract together, adding powdered sugar little by little until reaching desired consistency.
If it seems to get too stiff, add about 1 tsp of milk at a time until you get the consistency you want (add milk to thin it out, add powdered sugar to thicken it up).
Place contents of about 1/2 bag of sweetened, shredded coconut on a cookie sheet.
Spread it out so it makes just a single layer.
Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes
Some pieces will still be white and soft, some browned slightly with a little crunch.
*The preparation time does not include freezing the cake overnight before frosting. Make this cake the day before you plan to serve it.
More Recipes for Coconut Lovers!
- Tasty Coconut Cupcakes – Light and fluffy cupcakes with the most amazing coconut frosting!
- Coconut Cream Pie from Scratch – No pudding mixes in this delicious coconut cream pie filling. It is a creamy, dreamy pie!
- Coconut Pecan Cookie Bars – A graham cracker crust topped with coconut, milk chocolate chips, pecans. An easy recipe that everyone loves!
- Caribbean Coconut Fudge Bars – A soft oatmeal cookie crust topped with chocolate fudge and a gooey coconut topping. The recipe comes from a coffee shop in the Caribbean.
- Coconut Almond Bread – This is a moist coconut bread with a hint of almond. Perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a sweet treat.