Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole is one of our favorite Fall breakfasts. You will LOVE the soft French toast with crisp apples and gooey caramel!
Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole
French Toast Casserole is always a fan favorite around our house, especially for those who wake up with a bit of a sweet tooth (ahem, me!) and want something a little more filling than a doughnut. This recipe combines beautiful layers of soft French bread, tart apples, creamy caramel with a hint of cinnamon spice that ties the whole thing together. We love serving this on crisp Fall weekend mornings as part of a lazy brunch. The best part is you can make it the night before, so all the work is done ahead of time. Even the cook needs to sleep in occasionally, right? Enjoy!
What Apples Taste Best in this Recipe?
For this batch of Caramel Apple French Toast we got some Honey Crisp apples from a local orchard. Perfectly crisp, just the right amount of tart flavor! This dish tastes best with a tart and crisp apple. Steer clear of really sweet and soft apples like a red delicious; it will not taste as good and get too mushy. Other apples that work best are:
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
- Honey Crisp
Make it the Night Before
I love this recipe because it is so great for company or brunch dates. You can whip up everything the night before, refrigerate it overnight, and then bake it up in the morning while you are getting ready. The smells of the caramel and apples fill your house while it bakes. And the best part of all, is the amazing flavor. The french toast is moist and delicious, never dry. And then the apples bake to perfection with a coating of cinnamon and sugar, and then you top that all off with a sweet caramel drizzle. Everyone always goes crazy for this french toast whenever I make it and demands the recipe! My husband requests it all the time for special occasions, like his birthday breakfast.
More French Toast Recipes
If apples aren’t your thing we have a few other amazing overnight french toast recipes that you will be sure to love! I love them all, and make different ones depending on the time of year.
- Strawberry and Cream Cheese French Toast,
- Eggnog French Toast with Gingerbread Syrup.
- Coconut Macadamia Nut French Toast.
- Baked Monte Cristo French Toast
- Kneaders French Toast and Caramel Syrup
How to Make Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole
Caramel Apple French Toast
- Cut bread into large slices (about 3 inches wide) and arrange in a lightly sprayed 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread slices. Arrange apples on top of bread.
- Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugars (sprinkle the brown sugar the most generously) over the apples.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning bake for 1 hour at 350 until golden brown.
- Top with your favorite caramel topping. Mrs. Richardson’s Butterscotch Caramel is our favorite but even better than that is making it from bagged caramels: 1 pkg wrapped caramels and 2/3 cup whipping cream. Melt together in microwave.