French toast is a constant staple in our home, particularly this strawberry and cream french toast recipe! This french toast is prepared ahead of time, then baked in the morning so you can make the best of a lazy weekend.
This is a really good Strawberry and Cream Cheese French Toast recipe that I got from our friends, the Budges. It has become an all-time Walker family favorite.
Perhaps my favorite thing about this french toast is that you can prepare it ahead of time and throw it in the oven in the morning. This allows you to have a bit more leisure in your day, which is always nice.
The cream cheese layer in the french toast is always a hit. I like to use the whipped cream cheese because it is so much easier to spread, but regular cream cheese will work as long as you soften it.
More Cream Cheese Combinations
I love the strawberry and cream flavor on this french toast, but there are so many other great combinations as well. It’s fun to try this recipe with a flavored cream cheese like mixed berry or pineapple, and with other types of fresh fruit.
You can make a tropical french toast by using a pineapple cream cheese layer with bananas and coconut, or use a mixed berry cream cheese with fresh raspberries and blueberries. Additionally, you can add in amaretto or almond flavoring into the whipped cream…it is a must-try! In fact, this is a go to recipe for me when I have company and want to make a quick but delicious breakfast.
How to Soften Cream Cheese for Spreading
For this french toast recipe, the cream cheese will need to be softened so it can spread easily. You can easily do this by setting it out on the counter for an hour or so to soften, but if you’re anything like me, you might forget!
If that’s the case, you can quickly soften cream cheese in the microwave. Simply take off the foil wrapper, set it on a plate and microwave on high for about 15 seconds.
Additionally, you can also place the unopened foil package (remove the outside box) in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes. Easy!
More French Toast Recipes to Try
- Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole
- Eggnog French Toast with Gingerbread Syrup
- Kneaders French Toast and Caramel Syrup
- Coconut Macadamia Nut French Toast
How to Make French Toast
- Spread a layer of cream cheese between two slices of bread, place sandwiched slices in a glass pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Pour over bread and let sit for five minutes, turn bread over and cover pan with saran wrap. Refrigerate overnight. Drizzle melted butter over the top and bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Beat together the whipped topping ingredients until stiff peaks form. Top with strawberries mixed with sugar and the whipped topping.