This Baked Monte Cristo French Toast is the perfect breakfast for the Monte Cristo lover. Sweet, savory, and cheesy deliciousness in every bite.
Baked Monte Cristo French Toast
This Baked Monte Cristo French Toast recipe is chock full of bold, delicious flavors: Swiss cheese, ham, and turkey stuffed between two thick slices of French toast and topped with a sweet, berry syrup. What’s NOT to love?? They’re a delightful twist on the traditional Monte Cristo Sandwiches and are very similar to our Breakfast Monte Cristos. If you are only wanting to make just one Monte Cristo for yourself, I would suggest just making the Breakfast Monte Cristo recipe but this baked version is MUCH easier for a crowd. Both recipes are fantastic. It really just depends on what method you want to use.
Suggestions for this Baked Version
- This baked Monte Cristo French Toast recipe only takes a few short minutes of prep time. You can easily make it the night before and refrigerate overnight (they actually taste best this way)
- Each individual stuffed French Toast is one serving… and believe me, it is FILLING. You can serve these with something lighter like orange slices or berries but honestly you don’t need much else! This is a pretty hearty breakfast as-is!
- Unlike “traditional” Monte Cristos, these stuffed French Toast Monte Cristos are BAKED… which makes them somewhat healthier than the fried recipes.
- For the syrup, you can use any kind of berry syrup. We used the Smucker’s Boysenberry Syrup and it was out of this world good, but really you can use any kind of berry syrup you like.
- As an alternative, you can top these with jam if you don’t have any berry syrup and you won’t be disappointed. My husband actually likes them better with jam than syrup so it is totally up to you how you want to make it!
More Filling Breakfast Recipes
Start your family off with a gorgeous, easy breakfast each morning! Try some of these simple sweet or savory recipes and you’ll realize breakfast really IS the most important meal of the day!
- California Breakfast Casserole
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Eggnog French Toast
- Yogurt Pancakes with Homemade Syrup
- Strawberry and Cream Cheese French Toast
How to Make Baked Monte Cristo French Toast
- Spray 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place 7-8 slices of French bread in the baking dish (try not to over-crowd and squish too much)
- Spread cream cheese over each slice of bread, then layer on ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese.
- Top with remaining slices of French bread (making "sandwiches").
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Pour over bread and let sit for five minutes, turn bread over and cover pan with saran wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or even overnight).
- Drizzle melted butter over the top and bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and top with syrup and sift powdered sugar over the top.
- Serve immediately.
- 9x13 inch pan