Cajun Fried Chicken Po’ Boys with Spicy Remoulade Sauce are a true New Orleans favorite, and the perfect way to celebrate Mardi Gras!
Cajun Fried Chicken Po’ Boys with Spicy Remoulade Sauce
These Cajun Fried Chicken Po’ Boys are a real New Orleans treat! I ordered several different Po’ Boys during a visit to NOLA, but the spicy chicken ones were my very favorite! Tender chicken breasts are pan fried in cajun spices, placed on a french roll that is layered with spicy remoulade sauce, and topped with a delicious sweet slaw. Our family loves them any time of year, but they’re really fun to serve around Mardi Gras time. Perfect for picnics, family barbecues, or just a casual evening supper. Enjoy!
What is a Po’ Boy Sandwich?
Just a little about the Po’ Boy Sandwich. The name is, of course, short for “poor boy” because they were considered to be a cheap way to eat a meal. The Louisiana sandwich is served on a french roll or baguette filled with meat or seafood and many times topped with lettuce, tomatoes, or my favorite, coleslaw! See the recipe card below for a simple slaw to add to your spicy po’ boy.
Po’ boys are also traditionally served with remoulade sauce, a Louisiana style French sauce that’s packed full of flavors and spices! In my opinion, the remoulade sauce is what makes the Po’ Boy! This recipe is one the easiest things to make, even though it looks and sounds a bit complicated. But don’t worry; you can find all the ingredients for this recipe right in your regular grocery store. The combination of sriracha sauce, Cajun seasonings, horseradish, garlic, mayo and other ingredients will make your taste buds sing!
More Southern Favorite Recipes
We are big fans of the delicious flavors in New Orleans and have made a bunch of yummy copycat recipes from our visits there. Try a few of these insanely good recipes and give your family a true Mardi Gras meal!
- Mini Beignets
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Mint Juleps
- Pecan Pralines
- Creole Butter Shrimp
- Cajun Style Grill Foil Packets
- One Pot Jambalaya Pasta
- Red Beans and Rice
- Shrimp Po Boys with Creamy Cajun Sauce
How to Make Cajun Fried Chicken Po’ Boys with Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- 1 French baguette or roll (long loaf), sliced into 4 sections, then sliced open on one side to fill.
For the Chicken:
For the Coleslaw:
- Mix together the sauce ingredients for the coleslaw then toss with the cabbage and carrots. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix together the ingredients for the Remoulade sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Filet the two chicken breasts so that you have 4 thin pieces of chicken. In one small bowl mix together the milk and egg. In another small bowl mix together the wondra flour and Cajun seasoning.
- Heat a thin layer of vegetable oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Dip each piece of chicken in the milk mix, then coat thoroughly in the flour mix. Fry 6 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned on each side.
- Spread Remoulade sauce inside the cut roll/baguette, then add chicken and top with coleslaw.