You will love the taste of this homemade salad dressing with fresh lemon and basil. With all this fresh, delicious flavor, you’re going to want to put it on everything!
Homemade Salad Dressing with Fresh Lemon and Basil
You are going to love the fresh, creamy taste of this homemade salad dressing with Fresh Lemon and basil. I have been putting it on everything! From salad to sandwiches (check out next week’s post to see the delicious sandwiches I put it on) to Greek pitas to just dipping my bread in it! The key here is using FRESH basil. If you have a bunch of basil from your herb garden that you need to use up, this recipe is for YOU! If you want to lighten this recipe up a bit, feel free to use some Greek yogurt instead of Mayonnaise. Take it to your next summer picnic or block party. You will have all the neighbors asking for the recipe!
All About the Anchovy Paste
One thing to notice is the use of anchovy paste. Don’t leave this out! I know you are tempted to do it — just don’t. If you are having trouble finding anchovy paste, you will find it next to the canned anchovies, which is usually next to the canned tuna. I found a tube for around $2 and it is a great little investment. PLUS, even after it has been opened, it will keep in your fridge for months! Don’t worry about it tasting fishy. It contains plenty of salt, oil, vinegar, and sugar, which cover up the fishy-ness.
Wondering what else you can use anchovy paste in to justify buying it? Add a couple teaspoons to jarred spaghetti sauce (or homemade spaghetti sauce). It will add that rich dimension you really want in spaghetti sauce, especially if you are making a meat sauce. It really brings out the flavor of the beef. You can also add it to your beefy stews or soups for an added dimension. Anchovy paste is one of those ingredients where people will notice a difference in your dressing or sauce and say “I don’t know what makes this sauce so much BETTER — it just IS. I can’t quite put my finger on it!” And you will smile to yourself and know that it was the anchovy paste.
More Amazing Sauces
If you’re into the best sauces and dips, there are plenty to enjoy. You might want to check out some of these great recipes.
- Cilantro Verde Sauce is our go-to for anything Mexican. You can eat it over burritos, enchiladas and tacos, or use as salad dressing.
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes is the perfect way to use your garden fresh tomatoes!
- Homemade Tarter Sauce is another great one to try. It’s so much better than any you can buy.
- Fry Sauce is a great alternative to ketchup. For some, it’s the only way to dip fries, burgers and more.
Anyway, I am dedicating this post to my sister, Emily. Today is her birthday! Be sure to comment below to wish her a happy birthday! Love you, Ems!
How to Make Homemade Salad Dressing with Fresh Lemon and Basil
- 1 c. mayonnaise I prefer Best Foods.. or Hellmann's for you East coasters
- 1 c. green onion chopped, white and green parts
- 1 c. basil leaves chopped, FRESH
- 1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 lemons
- 2 tsp. garlic chopped, 2 cloves
- 2 tsp. anchovy paste
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. sour cream
- Place the mayonnaise, green onion, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the sour cream and process until just blended.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. For best results, refrigerate overnight.
- Add a little milk if it needs to be thinned before serving.
*adapted from Barefoot Contessa